Wedge labiaplasty - lubrication?

I saw an answe from one doctor here that says labiaplasty reduces mucosal tissue and can therefore lead to decreased natural lubrication. I thought this wasn't the case - that the glands responsible for this are left intact during wedge labiaplasty?

Decreased lubrication after labiaplasty

is only theoretical as the majority of your lubrication comes from elsewhere.  So if you have excessive labia and want a labiaplasty, you should consider it.  And if you eventually develop some need for lubrication, there are many products on the market that can help with that.

Vaginal lubrication

You are correct. Labiaplasty does not decrease vaginal lubrication. However, many patients do have some problems with lubrication at almost any age and with or without a labiaplasty. If so, I recommend using just inexpensive coconut oil. It's an OMG action.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

If your surgeon knows vaginal anatomy, they won't screw up your lubrication with any type of labiaplasty

One of the most basic principles of labiaplasty surgery is to avoid removing skin from the vestibule. This is the shiny pink skin inside beyond the base of the labia. Leave the vestibule alone and your lubrication will remain the same as before surgery. Any surgeon who is removing this mucosal tissue as a routine is a surgeon who doesn't know the relevant anatomy and should be avoided.

Wedge labiaplasty - effect on lubrication

Thank you for asking about your wedge labiaplasty.

• The wedge labiaplasty will remove some labial tissue and in that tissue are some small glands.
  • However the remaining labia has glands which will provide lubrication.
  • In fact, one problem with excessively large labia minora is the excess lubrication that is reduced with wedge resection.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Wedge labiaplasty - lubrication?

Thank you for sharing your question.  With the wedge technique, the overall size of the labia are reduced through removal of a segment of mucosal and epithelial tissue.  The tissue that remains has its glands left intact.  Hope this helps.