Is my vagina opening normal? (Photo)

Is my vagina opening normal, It seems very wide im not sure if im suffering a prolapse? Im having a labia reduction and very worried im going to be left with a big opening,

Vaginoplasty Performed with Labiaplasty

I  perform a variety of treatments and surgeries to enhance,  restore and rejuvenate the female genital region.  This includes  procedures to improve moisture, and sensitivity and tighten the vaginal canal; enhance orgasm and restore or improve the appearance of the vulva including the labia minora, labia majora,  the clitoral region and the vestibule of the vagina. There are many names for these procedures which include: Designer Vagina, Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation, LVR, Monsplasty, Labiaplasty, Labia Rejuvenation, Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery, Aesthetic Vaginal Sugery, Perineoplasty, and Hymenoplasty. Vaginal Enhancement Surgery is basically cosmetic surgery of a woman’s “Private Parts” or genital region.Candidates of Vaginal Rejuvenation or Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area.  For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area.  This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible.  The lining of the vagina can be  reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter  of the canal. The muscle ring , pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone  in this area.  Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.You should feel free to take your questions about adding a vaginal procedure to your labiaplasty if you are looking to ensure that the entire area is taken care of. Best of luck!

You'd benefit from a vaginal tightening surgery. This can be performed at the same time as a labiaplasty or at a different procedure later on. Don't stress.

Wide opening

A labiaplasty will not make the opening wider but it will certainly  not tighten the vaginal opening either. Some women with a wide opening will suffer from less pleasurable intercourse because of the vaginal relaxation.  As your surgeon, I would have addressed this issue at your initial exam to see if this was a bothersome issue to you.  It is difficult to assess for any prolapse  based upon the picture  without doing an internal exam in the office. It is critical to find an experienced surgeon that will be able to address all of your needs at one time.  I wouldn't recommend settling for anything less and risking a botched surgery and undesirable outcome. Sadly,  this happens more often than you think. want to get it done right the first time. Best wishes.

V-wedge vs. Linear/Trim: the importance of your surgeon individually designing surgery for YOUR anatomy!

You're not suffering prolapse, but you do have a prominent opening that will appear even more "wide open" if you have a LP by linear/trim method. This is the place for a V_WEDGE TECHNIQUE which will "curtain" the opening more and make it appear less "gaping." Make sure you discuss this now, ahead of time, with your surgeon. If all your doc knows how to do is a linear/trim, you may need a mini-perineoplasty to lessen the widening of the opening (and it will cost you more...). This is what "individually designed" surgery is all about! The video & blogpost below will help!

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Is my vagina opening normal?

Thank you for your question. Pelvic anatomy in women widely varies from person to person. We can not diagnose many by picture. It looks within normal. Other conditions need to be diagnosed with in person exam. Please talk to your OBGYN .

Vagina normal

Thank you for your question and post.  if you are done with childbearing then I would consider a vaginal tightening procedure  along with your labiaplasty.    if there is a degree of prolapse, then I would recommend a proper evaluation with a gynecologist who performs pelvic floor prolapse surgery and consider that as a co-procedure during your labiaplasty.

Best of luck!!

Is my vagina normal?

Hi and thanks for submitting your question. The vagina appears normal and your decision to have a labialplasty is a personal one. That said, any type of prolapse or other urogyn evaluation will need to be done in person. 

Have this assessment before you have any cosmetic procedure. 

Hope this helps!

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN

Is my vagina opening normal?

Thank you for your question and photograph. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. As far as prolapse or other urogynecological issues only an in-person examination and further knowledge of your symptoms can determine this.  A labiaplasty alone will not lead to a widening or narrowing of your opening.  Best wishes.