Is it possible to have a small implant on my chin to simply smoothen out the dip and remove the cleft?

Hi all, I have quite a prominent cleft chin. I am on the whole happy with the size and shape of my jaw/chin, but simply do not like the cleft indent line on my chin. Is it possible to have a small implant on my chin to simply smoothen out the dip and remove the cleft? Sorry for not providing pics. Many thanks, Dan

Doctor Answers 5

Chin implants will not remove the chin cleft

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is usually a problem with the soft tissue of the chin which is not addressed by a chin implant. Placement of the chin implant in you can change the forward projection and width of your chin but an implant alone will not change the dimple. Soft tissue fillers such as Radiesse are a much better option and easily accomplished in the office. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant will not smooth out the cleft

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 The cleft located in the chin is a soft tissue problem, not a bony issue, therefore a chin implant will not help. Placement of a chin implant preserves the cleft or dimple and simply augments the chin forward. For many examples of chin implants, please see  the link and the video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Is it possible to have a small implant on my chin to simply smoothen out the dip and remove the cleft?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. The issue with what you suggest would be stabilizing small fragments or sections of a silastic implant onto the bone beneath a muscle that constantly moves. It would be far more reliable, efficacious and cost effective to have a dermal filler placed in those areas of the chin.

Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Candidate for chin implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation. Web reference (A link

Chin implant vs fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dan - great question.  often patients ask about the cleft of their chin unsure as to what can be done.  The cleft is secondary to the connection between muscle and skin in that area - the chin is unique in that it has more musculo-cutaneous attachments than other parts of the face.  As such, as we get older, you notice more "marbling" in that area as well.  While a localized chin implant can help efface that area, you have to remember that a chin implant can alter the anterior and lateral projection of the chin.  Therefore, unless aesthetically you would benefit from a chin implant, placing a localized implant to fix one problem may cause others.  Without any pictures it is tough to say whether this would be a good idea at all.  That being said, you can use dermal fillers in that area very safely and efficaciously.  You can also use a variety of different fillers depending on the severity of your cleft to address your concerns.  I'm sure during a consultation with a PS they will be able to give you all of the options in this regard! Best of luck.  Hope some if this helps. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.