Uneven lips: reverse or fill? (photos)

I had my lips injected with juvaderm last week. The swelling has come down massively but I am unhappy with the shape of my top lip. I'm not sure whether it's an easy fix or if I should just reverse. Thanks

Unhappy with lips after Juvederm

The central tubercle of the upper lip is not highlighted while the lateral upper lip appears a bit too full to me.  It is possible that putting more filler into the central tubercle of the upper lip would give a more natural and more beautiful result.  You may also want to wait a few more days to allow any residual swelling to resolve.  
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip filler

Lips always swell after filler injection, and this can certainly affect their appearance for up to 2+ weeks after treatment.  Your photos suggest an overly full lateral or outer lip in comparison to less fullness in the middle.  If most of your swelling is gone, you may benefit from a bit of additional filler in the middle upper lip for a better balance.  Discuss your concerns with your injecting physician, and work together for a satisfactory result.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Lip Injections Juvederm NYC

It appears as if there is still some swelling and unevenness in the lips.  I would definitely wait at least one more week t see the full results.  If after week it is still uneven then you need more filler injected properl.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Uneven lips: reverse or fill?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentations, over the past 30 years, using dermal fillers or various lip implants.  At a week, the swelling should have subsided and from the photos, the lip proportion seems OK but the shape is a bit off.  While the lip appears fuller the aesthetic shape, contour and outline of the upper lip seems a flat and without definition which may be what you dislike.  

You can ask the MD, that did the lip augmentation, to dissolve some of the Juvederm from the outer portions of the lips and place some along the vermillion border and "Cupid's Bow" or let the filler dissolve on it's own.  Adding more volume to the body of the lip won't create the proper aesthetic contour along the outer edges of the upper lip IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Unnatural top lip

The central tubercle is not seen and that's the problem. No amount of waiting will help. This can be touched up with more filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

One week post Juvederm injections into the lips

Thank you for sharing your question and photos. It is too early to judge the final results of the injections of Juvederm into your lips. At this point, it looks reasonably good. Wait another week and see your injector at that time for in-person evaluation and guidance. Good luck. 

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven lips: reverse or fill?

Hello Skwz,

It takes a good 14 days for all of the swelling to go down, especially in the lips.  After that time if you notice it is still uneven and you like the more full side, then add more filler.  If you don't like the look at all then you can inject hyaluronidase and start the process over.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for the lips

I would wait another 7-10 days at which time you could decide if you want it modified or dissolved to start all over again.

Dr Karaamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist

Uneven lips: reverse or fill?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend allowing your lip results another week to mature before deciding on doing any further touch-up or dissolving your juvederm.  A touch up to shape the lip can be done but much depends on what your goal appearance is.  Hope this helps.

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist