Will an ultrasound give me a definite answer if I have breast tissue growth, scar tissue or swelling? (Photo)

I had a gynecomastia operation in September just gland tissue removal , initial results were great but then I had a hematoma and then a seroma. Underneath this I grew more breast tissue So three months later my surgeon removed that aswell.Now 1 month on and I have nipple hypersensitivity hardness and puffiness, it feels like it's coming back. No hormone problems. Will an ultrasound tell me if it's scar or breast tissue? Will I have to have my nipple removed? Surgeon is in Aus and I am back in uk

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Will an ultrasound give me a definite answer if I have breast tissue growth, scar tissue or swelling?

An Ultrasound can tell you if you have fluid (Blood or Seroma) or if you have solid tissue (Residual Tissue or Scarring) It is difficult to definitely say if it is scarring or residual tissue especially after surgical changes. Please see a Plastic Surgeon in your area who can help you with your problem.

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasound can help

An ultrasound is a good idea to determine if there is residual tissue or blood inside your chest.
best wishes.