Type 3/4 Gynocomastia - Advised to have gland removal, lipo and skin excision?

I am 27, 5'10 and around 75-80kg (was over 100kg a year ago). I am not too comfortable with the scarring and complications that can arise with the skin excision portion of the surgery. I was thinking of perhaps, only getting the glands removed (and maybe some lipo, depending), going down to 65kg, then bulking to 80kg with muscles. Obviously this would result in some sagging and I won't get a completely flat chest, but has there been any success stories?

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Be careful with your decision-making; if a significant amount of redundant skin is present after weight loss, some excision of skin is beneficial. Otherwise you will likely be disappointed with the outcome of surgery and require additional surgery as well.  Of course, patients in your situation should carefully consider the pros/cons/trade-offs associated with all decisions. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia Surgery

Short answer - send us some pics. 95% of the gynecomastia surgery I do is through an areolar incision and excise 95% of the gland with peripheral liposuction for contouring. Drains stay in for 4-7 days. Decreased activity for two weeks. I very rarly see the need for skin excision in young men as they almost always will have adequate skin retraction. Minor contour irrgularities can be improved with fat grafting at 6 months. See my web site gynecomastiatexas dot com. Good luck. 

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

Gynecomastia Surgery Without Skin Excision?

For severe gynecomastia, I do a two stage procedure with skin excision as the second procedure which can be done as an office procedure with very minimal scarring. Sometimes the way I do the first procedure the second stage is not necessary. For details and pictures, see the link below. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Skin excision as part of gynecomastia correction are major consideration.

The scars for skin removal when gynecomastia is extreme are in the middle of the chest wall and definitely need to be considered by the patient. It's often times not a bad idea to remove the breast mound and see how the skin recovers. Removal of excess skin secondarily can be done with local anesthesia.

Gynecomatistia surgery- gland, lipo and skin removal?

This is a difficult question without photos but the most common way doing this surgery is to remove glandular tissue and liposuction.  It is uncommon to remove skin but there are times when it is necessary but the scars can be aestheticly poor.  I would see a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss this with you and your options.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

It is often possible to do an excision and liposuction without skin resection. It is not possible to comment without hotos.

Gynecomastia

Need photos please. Will be difficult to offer any meaningful suggestions without. Looking forward to helping.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon