Tummy tuck question.

Hi I had a full tummy tuck and liposuction my belly is flat but under my breast upper abdomen it's looks like I habe a ball in under my skin is this normal

Wait before assessing results

If you are still recovery from your surgery I recommend you wait at least 5-6 months before assessing your results. This will allow for the majority of swelling to subside. However, if it’s been a while since your surgery, you may need to return to your surgeon to discuss your results. The upper part of your area, above your belly button, may not have been treated sufficiently. Excess fat or diastasis recti may still be present or other issue that requires corrective surgery.

Ball-shaped Lump Under Breast

Hello and thank you for your question. Photos would help to see the issue and provide more detailed information, but in general it could be the healing process if your procedure was within the past few months. Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. If it has been longer than this then it would be a good idea to return to your surgeon with the issue and have the area examined to make sure that everything is healing properly or if there is something, possibly excess fat, that needs to be removed from your upper abdomen from under the breast. 

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both. Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result. A direct follow-up visit with your surgeon would be best to determine the most helpful resolution. Good luck!

Upper abs

What you are describing could be a serum or fluid collection, residual fatty tissue, gathered tissue from incomplete release, none of which can be confirmed without a proper examination.  I would encourage you to seek a follow up exam.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Fullness afer tummy tuck

Hi jaimesmith

Sorry to hear about this.  I will take a guess (no photo) that the ball like lump is located in the upper abdomen just below the breast bone.  Given that, and the fact that you had lipo, my guess is that the flap in that area was not released enough from the muscle layer.  When the muscle layer was tightened at the midline, the overlying tissue was brought in causing it to rise up.

Depending on the presentation as well as time since surgery, you may or may not expect significant improvement.

All the best.