Do I need a tummy tuck, or is there another option? (Photo)

Hello professionals’, After having kids, I have been left with some loose skin on my tummy, but am apprehensive to go under to knife for such a drastic procedure. I am having Multipolar radio frequency to tighten skin, and have had 6 treatments out of 12 so far. Although it has helped, I am still no satisfied. I also do bodybuilding, and workout 5 days a week. If need be I will opt for a tummy tuck, but I want to know that it will be the best option for me. Thank you in advance.

Full Tummy tuck + Liposuction

Anything less than a full tummy tuck will not give you a good result. Stop wasting your time with all those non invasive procedures, you have a lot of skin excess and the only solution for that it to remove it. 

Tummy tuck is best

I have had the option of using nonsurgical treatments for tightening of skin with less then visible results in most patients who spent thousands of dollars elsewhere. save your money, get up your nerve, seek out a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon and get a consultation with a reputable man. 

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Stop the treatments and get a tummy tuck

I think you are wasting money on the skin tightening.  You should stop and put that money towards a tummy tuck- you will do incredible with a traditional tummy tuck.  Here is my advice on tummies:

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients.Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside. Most times, those muscles don’t go exactly back to where they were before.Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results. It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house.

The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.

As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off? Hope this helps!

Tummy Tuck is the Best Option

Thank you for your pictures.  In may opinion, to get the optimal outcome a tummy tuck with muscle tightening would be the best option.  Please visit with several board certified plastic surgeons for the best advice. 

Do I need a tummy tuck, or is there another option?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos which show loose saggy skin, the best option to address this would be a tummy tuck.  Your current treatment will provide only marginal benefit.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to review this option further.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Do you need a tummy tuck

It is very unlikely that your current therapy will give you the results most are looking for. From your photographs, it seems you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck and you should see a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in this operation to give you a good understanding of what you may expect for results. I imagine you would have a very nice result.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

People who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.
A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck

Hi, thanks for your posted photos. Definitely tummy tuck is your best option, there is too much extra skin and muscle must be corrected, any other treatment is not going to be enough to give you what you must be looking for. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your submitted photos and desired goals, you appear to be an excellent candiate for a full tummy tuck proceudre to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further evalutaed, discuss your goals and concerns then work together to create a surguical plan to best helpo you achieve those desired goals.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Thank you for your question. Based on the history and pictures Full Tummy tuck with lipo to sides will give optimal results for you. Please see a board certified PS for evaluation