How long I should be out of cigarette to be able to perform Tummy tuck, breast implants and fat transfer to butt same day?

I decided to stop smoke because I Realy wabt to have a safe surgery... I stoped smoking 2 days ago, in 30 years old, I want to do a tummy tuck, butt fat transfer and Brest enlargement... How long I should be out if cigarette to be able to perform those surgeries and is it safe to perform all together ?

Smoking before same day tummy tuck, breast implants, and buttock augmentation

Smoking brings a significant risk of cancer, stroke, heat attack, etc. From a Plastic Surgery standpoint it is a vasoconstrictor. Wound healing is all about getting oxygen and needed entities to the wound. It is well known that patient who smoke have a tremendous increase in their rate of serious complications, (infections, wounds falling apart, etc.). Nicotine is the main vasoconstrictor, so getting a patch or lozenge of nicotine won't help the vasoconstriction. Best to be off the tobacco/nicotine entirely before surgery. Please be honest with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Together you can make a plan to quit and proceed with surgery. The amount of time between quitting and surgery will depend on the Plastic Surgeon and the procedure.

Smoking and surgery

You should stop smoking 4 weeks prior to surgery and 4 weeks after surgery. This also means you cannot use any nicotine containing produces like patches or gum. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

Smoking dramatically increases the risk that your abdominal skin will turn black and die, leaving a large open area.  This is a complication known as flap necrosis, and you don't want to mess around with that.

Smoking also reduces the success of any fat transfer procedure, due to a higher reabsorption rate in smokers.

Smokers, in some studies, have also been found to have a higher rate of implant hardening.

I recommend that patients quit for 8 weeks prior to surgery. No nicotine patches, no e-cigarettes.  Chantix helps.

Smoking cessation prior to surgery

Thank you for your question.  At minimum, two to three weeks prior to any surgery the patient should quit smoking.  Post operatively, the minimum amount of time you should continue to not smoke is three to four weeks.  This also includes avoiding second hand smoke exposure as well.  Smoking increases the risk of complication, increased bleeding and bruising, as well as delayed wound healing so the sooner you quit and the longer you stay smoke free the better it is for your recovery process.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV 

Lane Smith, MD

Smoking and surgery

I would prefer 2-3 weeks prior to your surgery date and 2-3 weeks after your surgery. also, the longer you quit before and after, the better.

One of the original studies that looked at the benefits of smoking cessation prior to surgery was done with patients ceasing smoking 6 to 8 weeks prior to their surgery.  But several subsequent studies have shown a benefit in patients who stopped smoking in as little as one to two weeks prior to their surgery.  It is also important  that you don't smoke for the  first three weeks after your surgery, as well.   If you can stop smoking for 4 to six weeks you should be able to stop completely.  This will have significant long term health benefits for you, and the money you save, in not smoking over a lifetime, will probably pay for your surgery.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Every plastic surgeon has different protocols when they require patients to stop smoking prior to these procedures. The more combined procedures that are involved in a surgery, the longer I require the patient to discontinue smoking. For these procedures combined I would require the patient to completely stop smoking for a minimum of 6-8 weeks. Not only quitting before surgery, but also after surgery, and it is important to avoid second hand smoke as well. Smoking effects healing tremendously by delaying the healing and can cause the wound to open, along with necrosis of the tissue.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD