Possible treatments for yellow teeth? As I don't have enamel coating.

My enamel coat is not present since i was born due to the use of tetracycline. I thought of getting veneers but then doctor said that enamel coating is required as it is used for bonding. Other option is crowning but it grinds healthy teeth. What could be the best possible treatment?

#Veneers are a great option for tetracycline stained teeth #DrSoftTouch

Hello Anne,
The best way to determine your options is to provide us with photos. That being said, tetracycline stained teeth can be easily made to look perfectly white using porcelain veneers and/or crowns. I would recommend seeing an experienced cosmetic dentist for a veneer consultation. The best indicator to determine if the dentist you choose is going to give you the results that he/she claims, is by viewing before and after photos of his/her patients that have undergone similar or the same procedures. I'll link a photo of a patient of mine who's case was similar to yours. This patient's smile was completely transformed using porcelain veneers. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Amelogenesis Imperfecta????

You must have another condition, and this would have to be diagnosed accurately before any treatment is planned.  Tetracycline is not responsible for enamel not forming. Amelogenesis Imperfecta does cause enamel not to form. Tetracycline does cause dentin to stain dramatically, and we can treat this easily with veneers.  Amelogenesis imperfecta or some other condition which causes enamel not to form would probably have to be treated with crowns.   You should schedule an appointment with an experienced, cosmetic dentist who will get to the bottom of this and find out what you actually have and formulate a plan to treat you.

I hope this information is helpful.

Douglas Jopling, DDS
Dallas, TX area

Porcelain veneers are an excellent choice for deficient tooth enamel.

When there is deficient tooth enamel, porcelain laminate veneers are a great choice that offers superior long-lasting aesthetics and strength. The latest adhesive bonding systems enable veneers to have a strong stable adhesion to dentin as well as enamel. More than likely the veneer design in cases of erosion and enamel deficiencies would require veneer coverage in a 360 degree fashion, more of a veneer-crown to offer maximum protection and strength.