Is there an effective non-invasive treatment for the appalling side effect paradoxical hyperplasia?

I'm suffering from paradoxical hyperplasia after CoolSculpting and would like to know: 1) if invasive therapy is the only solution? (if so, what your recommendation would be) 2) If other types of non-invasive techniques can also be equally effective? (e.g. treatments which use ultrasound technology to melt away the fat such as Liposonix/ultrasound cavitation) 3) if exercise &diet alone can deal with reducing the size of the abdomen? (it doubled in size after the CoolSculpting treatment!) Thanks

I wish we know who was at risk for this but we don't.  I do let my patients know that if hyperplasia occurs (which it never has), I will perform liposuction on them for free... that is how rare it is.

Best of luck, Sheila Nazarian

Paradoxical Hyperplasia

This is an unfortunate rare reaction to cryolipolysis. Apparently (since little has been published on this), liposuction or off-label injection of a fat-destroying liquid (sodium deoxycholate/phosphatidylcholine) may help significantly. I hope this helps.

Daniel P. Friedmann, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Paradoxical Hyerplasia following CoolSculpting

So sorry this has occurred to you! Paradoxical Hyperplasia following CoolSculpting is uncommon. It is my belief that inflammatory removal of fat cells occurs as well as the proposed apoptosis. This occurs during surgical procedures such as liposuction and tummy tucks as well leaving a firmer, fibrous tissue replacing the lost fat. 

I recommend time and deep scar massage initially. Patients who lose weight during the time of focused fat reduction from CoolSculpting do better.

It may take a year or longer until the changes have settled as any procedure that creates heat or traumatic injury such as ultrasound or radiofrequency procedures, liposuction or tummy tuck during the healing process may also add to the lumpy scarring. At that time you may consider these other procedures but only with the evaluation and recommendations of a Board Certified and well experienced Plastic Surgeon.

I hope this has helped. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Paradoxical hyperplasia

Sorry for your distress. Paradoxical Hyperplasia is a rare side effect of Cryolipolysis. With Paradoxical Hyperplasia, firmer, fibrous tissue replaces the lost fat. However, it can also occur with surgical body contouring procedures such as liposuction and abdominoplasty. Consult in person with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to better understand your options

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS