How will I know when a tattoo that has been removed by laser has healed enough before re-tattooing?

What are the signs to look out for to tell if an area has healed enough after laser tattoo removal in order to have it re-tattooed.

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

I suggest waiting a few months after laser tattoo removal before getting another tattoo in the same area to allow inflammation under the skin to decrease. Please see a laser expert. Best, Dr. Emer

How long to wait before having a tattoo

Thanks for your question. You can have new ink placed in the area once the skin has completely healed from the last tattoo removal session. Depending on location, this is often somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks. Residual redness, flaking, itchiness should be gone. There is no need for a prolonged waiting period. New ink particles are large in size and cannot be removed by the cells that are working to clear the particulate debris of the shattered ink left by the laser. Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician