Do I have symmastia? (Photo)

Hello- I am 6 weeks post op - 300cc nagor moderate profile silicone placed in dual plane. When I lean forwards I have this uni crease under my breasts. It doesn't look good- could this still be sternal swelling or is it symmastia? Thank you

Post Op Swelling May be Mistaken as Symmastia

Symmastia is a condition which can occur when the implants are too close together. Patients often refer to this as a “uniboob.” Occasionally, the space or pocket for the breast implant is created towards the center, or the tissue stretches, forcing  the implants to fall too much towards the center of the breasts.   Currently, you do not appear to have #symmastia. Also, it is still quite early into your post-op healing stage. Therefore, what you may be experiencing  is swelling between the breasts, which can be mistaken as symmastia.  If you are not satisfied with your #final #results or if there are any concerns, it's best to consult with your plastic surgeon to further discuss your #options.

Do I have Synmastia?

Thank you for your question. Based on these photos it appears that you may have some sternal swelling, not likely synmastia, however an in-person exam with your Plastic Surgeon will be the best way to rule out issues. All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Symmastia?

Based solely on your photo, it doesn't look as if you have symmastia. Hope this alleviates your worry. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Synmastia?

Hello, the photo is dark so it is difficult to appreciate your concerns.  Based on what I can see there does appear to be a gap between the breasts, which is not usually present in cases of synmastia.

William Andrade, MD

Do I have symmastia?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Based on your photographs, I do not think that you have symmastia present. It is more likely that you are experiencing some skin tenting and/or swelling. Your plastic surgeon, of course will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment and/or meaningful reassurance. You may find the attached link, dedicated to symmastia surgery correction surgery, helpful to you for comparison purposes. Best wishes.

Photos too dark to tell

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, your photos are too dark to really see anything; so, I can't tell if you have symmastia or not. It is not likely that you have significant swelling 6 weeks after surgery to cause a visible problem.  If you could repost the photos with better lighting, we can provide better answers. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is this synmastia?

From a single photograph, and without a preoperative photograph, it is difficult to tell if symnastia is present. if when you push the breasts towards the middle at the same time, and they seem to touch, that is more indicative of synmastia. Go back to your operating plastic surgeon for examination. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Request an examination

At six weeks post-op, although a good amount of swelling should have subsided, there may still be swelling left, particularly in the lower parts of the breast depending on the type of bra or dressing you are wearing. You should ask to be examined by your plastic surgeon so he or she can evaluate the skin envelope and palpate the area to see if there is fluid keeping the lower area "tented" and creating that appearance of a crease. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician