Could surgery fix this? (photos)

As you can see in the picture I have posted, my nostrils widen far too much when I smile, I really do hate it. What procedure could I look into to have my nose width reduced? Thanks in advance

Nose Width

Dear redstars, Your nose in repose looks the appropriate width. Your question seems to indicate you are only bothered during smiling. This is a dynamic process and has to do with the pull of the facial muscles that are centered on the cheekbones and attached down to the so-called modiolus which is near the corners of the mouth. Botox is contraindicated as it would give you a very odd-looking smile and narrowing the nose in repose is not going to stop the flaring when you smile. This is just the way you are built. By the way, your picture looks quite normal to me when you are smiling. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Wide Alar Base

It is possible to reduce the size of your alar base.  In most cases, this can be done under local anesthesia in an office setting.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Wide base of nose with smiling

The base of your nose can widen when you smile as the muscle of expression pull at the sides of the nose. Although there's little to be done with the muscles (?Botox, but I wouldn't suggest it), the base of the nose can be narrowed surgically. This is done by making incisions in the groove between the nose and cheek so to hide it and removing a small piece of flesh to allow the nostril rims (alae) to move inwards. This way although your nose will still widen with a smile, it's starting off narrower so it ens narrower too.

Wide alar base - Could surgery fix this?

Hello redstars - Thanks for your question. Yes, it is possible to adjust the base width of your nose easily in the office under local anesthesia.  I would recommend that you consult with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area for more information.  The procedure is easy to perform and recover from, and the incisions are very well hidden. Good luck, Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon