Surgeons with experience of Ethnic/African American rhinoplasty nose job? Am I suitable? (Photos)

28 year old female. Mixed race (white/caribbean) London based, does anyone have any recommendations for a surgeon that specialises in ethnic rhinoplasty. I want my nose to appear smaller with a more defined tip , not so flared when I smile. Abit scared I'll end up looking like Michael Jackson, so looking for a surgeon with extensive experience with patients as myself. Any recommendations? Do I appear a suitable candidate for this procedure? Willing to travel to USA for the right surgeon.
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. It is possible to receive rhinoplasty for a smaller and more refined nose. However, it depends on the thickness of your skin and the anatomy of your nose that you already have. Results vary and you should seek consultation from a board-certified surgeon in your area who specializes in rhinoplasty or have had extensive experience. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. You do appear to be the suitable candidate for a Rhinoplasty. I suggest that you do your due diligence on the surgeon (years of experience, number of surgeries performed, education/expertise, board certification level, patient testimonials, patient before/after photos) and then schedule a consultation as many offices - including ours - offer a teleconference for patients from long distances. From a recovery perspective, in African-American skin, swelling from surgical procedures may last a while but bruising is less common.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty questions

Your concerns and goals are very common for patients seeking an ethnic rhinoplasty.  Commonly during an ethnic rhinoplasty, steps are taken to narrow and define the nasal tip, narrow the nasal dorsum, and improve the flaring nostrils. This can be achieved by undergoing a rhinoplasty structure supports the nose with cartilage grafting, thinning the nasal skin, and narrowing the alar base. The signs of a successful ethnic rhinoplasty results in the nose that blends with the face, but does not look operated.
I hope this helps

Choosing A Rhinoplasty Doctor

Rhinoplasty is a challenging procedure. To set yourself up for success, I would interview facial plastic and plastic surgeons that have extensive experience with rhinoplasty. A common thing I will do with our international patients is to Skype with them. If we both feel comfortable, things advance from there. Communication is very important with rhinoplasty. I will often perform computer imaging after discussing with the patient what their goals are for the the procedure. This allows us both to have a common understanding of what we are trying to achieve.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty

African American rhinoplasty, like all rhinoplasty, is about bringing the nose into balance with the rest of the face. The goal is to create a nose that looks like it belongs on your face.  Nowadays I think most plastic surgeons understand this goal. The key is to properly communicate the changes that you would like to see and discuss the possibilities with your surgeon. Every patient has differences when it comes to structure of the nose and thickness of the skin. Understanding the potential for each patient and conveying that ahead of time leads to happy outcomes.  I would consult with surgeons in London to see if they have pictures of patients with your ethnic background. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon