My surgeon thinks 420cc will take me too a DD I am currently a 32C. Do you think I will end up too large. (photos)

Please see pictures.

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best implant you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants:

420cc will take me too a DD I am currently a 32C

Thanks for your question and pictures. The desired size is all your personal preference in conjunction with your board certified plastic surgeons medical expertise. Getting 420CC would take you up approximately 3 bra sizes. Have you tried on the implant in question with a DD bra? If so, were you happy with the way they looked? Also keep in mind, that all bras are not equally sized. 

Mary Jo Wright, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  The best advice would be to either reschedule with your current surgeon and ask to utilize either 3d imaging technology or to try on sizer implants to see which sized implant will help you best achieve your overall desired goals or schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that can allow you access to sizer implants to see which sized implant will help you best acvhieve yor overall desired goals.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast augmentation

I would suggest 3D photographic imaging.  You will be able to visualize exactly what this implant would look like on your chest.

John Burns, MD

What is the best size for me?

Thank you for your question and photos.  You know your body and your desires better than anyone else. This is a decision that should be between you and your plastic surgeon. Face to face consultation and exam, measuring your dimensions and evaluating your tissue characteristics should help you and your surgeon reconcile your desires with what your tissues will accommodate. There are several sizing options that your surgeon can review with you. You should have thorough education and understanding of your options. These are decisions that should be made as team of educated patient and knowledgeable, skilled surgeon. Good Luck!

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

There are many factors that are taken into account when determining breast implant sizing. This can include one's height, weight, pre-existing breast size, shoulders, nipple position, inframammary fold and others. The term too large is very subjective. What may be too large for one patient may be too small for another patient. Your plastic surgeon can discuss with you ranges of proportion for a frame. A lot also depends on your goals with breast augmentation.

What size implants

This is a common question asked not only in forums, but also in the offices of cosmetic plastic surgeons. It seems to be a source of some angst for most women as they have tremendous concern for what the final outcome might be. I find that several things over the last 25 years have helped patients decide which type, shape, and projection ratios will best suit their needs. I think it's helpful if the patient brings in several photographs of what the goal look of her breasts might be. Also, if she can bring some photographs of what she doesn't want this will eliminate trying to express in words what “natural”, “high cleavage”, “low cleavage”, “fake”, and “stripper” may mean to her. I have likewise found the Vectra 3-D imaging platform to be the single most helpful tool in trying to visualize what the outcome might be with different sizes of implants. The Mentor shell sizing system, in which a shell of implant material is placed over the breast and in a padless bra, can likewise be helpful in that it can, not only show the size in a bra, but can give the patient some idea as to what the weight of the implant might be.In my opinion, the implants will look best when the base width of the implant is at, or just slightly less, than a natural base width of her breast. Considerations of chest wall abnormalities, location of breast creases, shapes of the breast, amount of overlying breast tissue, stretch ability of the skin and breast over the implant among other things also play a role in trying to best decide which implant will look best. It can also be helpful if the plastic surgeon, during their consultation, can provide some insight into what the likely outcome would be with different sized implants given their experience in breast implant surgery over many years. We ask our patients to bring different types of clothing such as evening gowns and bathing suits as well as a tight shirt to evaluate what the implant might look like under these type of clothing options. It is also possible to make a home made breast size or using grain rice. Approximately 1 ounce of rice equals 30 mL of breast implants volume. The rice can be placed into a pantyhose leg and enough volume left in the pantyhose such that the rice can be flattened out. You can then tie off the pantyhose and cut off the excess. This flattened rice volume pantyhose can be added on top of the breast inside of a padless bra and can give a rough approximation of what the corresponding implant might look like. Besides the size, most plastic surgical consultations for breast augmentation will also deal with the shape of implants, whether round or anatomically shaped. Here I think the Vectra really shines in that you can place two images next to each other, one with the shaped implant and one with a round implant such that the potential breast implant patient can really see what the difference would look like on them. All things considered, this can be a fun process and the vast majority of patients in my practice are quite happy with their end result. From your photos I think that size will be acceptable.Hope your surgery goes well and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Implant Size

Try on sizers in your surgeon's office for a clear understanding of the volume being added.  Based on your photos, you should have a very nice result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Should Be Just Fine

Ellam84:  If you are looking to end up around a DD, I think 420 cc will be just right based on your pictures.  That may be too big for some but if your desire going into this is a DD I don't believe you will find them to be too large.
You have a great native shape and I expect you will have an excellent result.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon