Sunken in Cheeks? What should I do?

Hello I have sunken in/underdeveloped cheeks its particularly evident when I'm standing directly under lighting and my lower facial area, my Perioral Region looks likes its protruding from my face so I tend to avoid standing or sitting directly under lighting. My Mum, Grandma and Cousin have big nice cheeks though is it possible the genes didn't get passed down to me?

Doctor Answers 9

Sunken in Cheeks? What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 Hi, I have performed many Cheek Augmentations using dermal fillers or cheek implants for a permanent enhancement.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.Hope this helps.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Sunken in Cheeks? What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Juvederm® Voluma and Restylane® Lift fillers are the current best way to shape/enhance/volumize the cheeks in 2016.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Nonsurgical Cheek Augmentation With Volumizing Fillers Works Well For Saggy, Sunken Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Photos would have been extremely helpful. But, in general terms, it has now become common place to treat saggy, sunken cheeks with the use of volumizing fillers. The procedure typically takes about five minutes per side to perform in experienced hands and the results typically engender an immediate "Wow!" effect. My next patient is in fact someone returning for a repeat nonsurgical cheek rejuvenation who was last treated for her cheeks a little over two years ago. Voluma XC is my favorite injectable volumizing filler for cheeks in my Upper East Side Manhattan office. The results are natural and expression is not altered with this hyaluronic acid based material that has terrific lifting capacity, integrates itself nicely within the cheeks, and provides natural appearing cheek projection and light reflection. Results typically last up to two years. In my Israel satellite facility where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved volumizing fillers are available, I typically opt for Stylage XXL for this purpose. Make sure to consult with a board certified aesthetic, core physician and be certain to ask to see his/her before photos before proceeding. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Chin/Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane; Fat; Implants; Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Fillers, fat, implants and sculptra can be used to augment the cheek.  Please see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Cheek Implants for sunken cheeks.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you are correct that the genetics did not pass to you. Cheek implants will give you the best results because of their sizes, shapes  and consistent performance. See a very experienced cheek implant surgeon   Who can show you natural work. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Sunken in Cheeks?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I feel the most precise and aesthetic results to contour the cheeks is had with fat transfer. Please see examples from the included link.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Cheek implants for sunken cheek area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 In our practice, we perform cheek implants when patients have sunken cheeks, a flat maxilla and a flat cheek profile. Cheek implants are manufactured in a large variety of shapes( malar and sub- malar) and a variety of sizes. The implants are composed of psi last took and are usually placed through a small incision through an intraoral approach under a brief general anesthesia. In our practice, we have been using Implantech cheek implants silastic cheek implants for over 25 years. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before-and-after examples, please see the link and the video below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Treatment of Poor Cheek Projection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your "sunken" cheeks can be augmented using long lasting fillers, your own fat, or implants depending on your needs and goals. I need to see pictures to give you a more specific response.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Sunken in Cheeks? What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
RedFlower2Many patients desire to have full cheeks. The location of that fullness is more important than the overall volume. It's possible that characteristic did not get passed down from your relatives.I recommend a consultation so a doctor can examine your face and even take photographs. I like to use 3D simulation software to get on the same page as my patients regarding their goals. Then I would review potential treatment options appropriate to your face. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.