Stem cell grafts under nasal base/paranasal area a suitable alternative to implants? Would this widen the nose or give support?

I have a paranasal and under nose depression / volume loss after rhinoplasty. I have been recommended a mixture of paranasal implant FAMI and stemcell/fat grafting. What I want to know is if stem cells can be a suitable implant- it has been offered to me and from my research seems possible to use my own tissue under the nostril flare and base of the nose.

Internet Research

Contrary to your belief, surfing the internet is not research. 99% of internet sites serve up a healthy dose of misinformation. This would make it impossible for someone like yourself (a non-physician) to determine what is real and what is not. Stem cell spiked fat grafts show no superiority over fat grafts alone. Best of luck!

Paranasal implant

Paranasal implants are a great option.  Implants by themselves are very powerful and come in different sizes.I would recommend starting with an implant.  Let the implant heal and settle.  You can then decide whether you want more and what your options are.  Maybe you will be very satisfied.  It is rare for me to do other procedures in the paranasal area after putting in an implant.  The fat transfer you mention may be helpful for other irregularities(guessing on that because you mention previous surgery).

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Use of a stem cell fat graft.

At this time there is no evidence that stem cells are helpful in improving the results with fat grafting. Fat grafting can be used to add volume in any area including the face. I would be cautious of a plastic surgeon wanting to do this with stem cells since this may be a marketing hype and nothing more. Cartilage or bone grafting may be a more suitable material for your case. The only reason to add fat would be if you have very thin skin and wish to mask the presence of the implant under the skin. Photographs would be helpful to give you more information. I would seek a second opinion.

Good luck.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon