Strange welt 4 days after lipo on flanks? (Photo)

Hi I am 4 days post full tt with lipo of flanks. There is a strange welt on one of lipo sites on my back. Its tender to touch? Wanted to know if its normal?

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Blister -- Seek an Expert

Based on your photo, you have developed a blister that could be related to the tape or to the type of liposuction you had performed. I suggest following up with your physician, this is not normal. Best, Dr. Emer

Strange "welts" after lipo on back

Hi Pauline
Hard to say exactly what is going on.  You have blisters.  This could be from the tape, or if you had a heat generating type of lipo (UAL, Laser, Vaser, etc.) that could be the reason.
It isn't normal healing, so I would notify your doctor.
All the best.
Sek

Thank you for your question and photograph. It appears that you have developed a blister at your incision site as well as around the edges of the clear bandage.  I would be concerned about an allergic reaction to the adhesive of the bandage and would recommend seeing your surgeon for an evaluation.  Removal of the bandage should help your symptoms and allow your body to heal the blistered skin.  

Liposuction - welt on flanks 4 days afterwards

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • You are correct - this blistered welt is not normal.
  • If you had laser or ultrasonic liposuction (smartlipo, vaser), it is probably a burn from the machine. 
  • If not, it is probably a friction burn from your garment.
  • Friction burns take much less time and are less likely to cause skin scarring -
  • Please let your surgeon know what has happened - s/he should see you without delay and prescribe treatment. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Welt after lipo

It looks like you have developed a small blister from the clear dressing.  This occasionally occurs when you get swelling under the bandage, creating a shear effect on the skin beneath.  Like any blister, if it ruptures, keep it moist with an antibiotic ointment.  Stay in touch with your surgeon since an in-person exam is always better than a picture over the internet!

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Welt After Lipo

Thanks for your question! No, that does not look normal. It appears to be a blister or small burn from one of your leads that they use to monitor your heart during surgery. I would def check this out with your plastic surgeon ASAP. Hopefully it will heal with some topical wound care without any problems. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon