I'm a smoker, I'm planning to do tummy tuck and BBL at the same time. Is it safe?

I had two kids, finLu I decided to have tummy tuck but in addition i want to do butt fat transfer to my butt, I like to know if it is possible and if because I'm a smoker I have serious risks to perform them together?

Smoking, tummy tuck and butt lift. Safe?

Using tobacco brings a significant risk of cancer, stroke, heat attack, etc. From a Plastic Surgery standpoint it is a vasoconstrictor. Wound healing is all about getting oxygen and needed entities to the wound. It is well known that patients who smoke have a tremendous increase in their rate of serious complications, (infections, wounds falling apart, etc.). Nicotine is the main vasoconstrictor, so getting a patch or lozenge of nicotine won't help the vasoconstriction. Best to be off the tobacco/nicotine entirely before surgery. Please be honest with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Together you can make a plan to quit and proceed with surgery. The amount of time between quitting and surgery will depend on the Plastic Surgeon and the procedure.

Smoking can significantly alter plastic surgery results

To continue smoking before and after a surgical procedure of any type can significantly affect your results in a  negative way. Please do not sabotage your results by smoking or using nicotine products. Best of luck to you.
Kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Care Before Surgery

If you are a smoker / ay want any liposuction procedure should refrain from smoking for at least two weeks before and two weeks after surgery, as the snuff can affect very negatively wound healing.

Smoking 10-20 cigarettes a day, the anesthesiologist should authorize the operation

Smoking 5-10 cigarettes per day, you should smoke half

Smoke from 0-5, you should stop smoking

Alfredo Hoyos, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely no smoking

There are 4000 toxic substances in cigarette smoke, the most important to your tummy tuck are carbon monoxide and nicotine.  I will absolutely not perform a tummy tuck on a smoker unless they have confirmed negative urine nicotine tests on the morning of surgery and a negative carboxyhemoglobin test at their preop.  The risks are substantial.

Smoking and tummy tuck and Brazilian buttlift

Combined surgeries are common, such as tummy tuck and Brazilian buttlift. The issue is smoking and nicotine use. Nicotine is associated with increased complications such as skin slough, death of the skin of the abdomen, and also open wounds after tummy tuck. I highly recommend quitting smoking for a month before and after your surgery. Your results will be far more superior if you do!

Manish Champaneria, MD

Smoking and tummy tuck with BBL

For a tummy tuck I insist that my patients stop smoking for at least 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery.  It is for the patient's health and safety that I have this requirement.  This is elective surgery and you want to have the best possible results for the money you are spending.  If you continue smoking, you risk significant complications that will jeopardize your results and your health. Any plastic surgeon that has your best interests as a top priority will require you to stop smoking before this surgery.  Best of luck!

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Nicotine use and tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry.  You are high risk of the skin on your abdomen not healing or worse dying.  It is not the fat transfer that is the risk.  Please quit smoking 4 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after.  Good Luck.

Smoking and flap surgery- Very risky business

Hi Sheyla84.

If you were my patient, I would refuse to do that kind of surgery.  Smoking greatly increases risks of wound healing and tissue loss among other things for these procedures.

Besides, you need to quit smokng.

No Tummy Tuck For Smokers

If you find a plastic surgeon to perform a tummy tuck and fat injection for a smoker, you had better check his credentials.  You are taking major risks and very probably wasting your money for the fat injections.
What we do for a living is move tissues around from one area to another.  It's basically a trick that we get away with because we understand the blood supply to tissues and we preserve it - otherwise the surgery fails.  Wounds don't heal, skin dies and there are months of healing or reconstructive procedures.  Smoking limits the blood supply that we are counting on when we do these operations by making arteries constrict.
Stop smoking first, plastic surgery later.
Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

I would recommend the cessation of smoking for 1 month prior to either procedure.