Sceptical! Help with CoolSculpting (CoolMini) for chin!

URGENT! I am a 20 year old female (slim but excess fat around jawline) looking for coolmini on chin area as I don't have a defined jawline. I have had a consultation where the lady told me that i would need two coolmini applicators on in the same session (one after the other on each side of the chin - 2hours in total - rather than 1 applicator directly underneath) with the second one overlapping some of the same area of skin as the first. IS THIS SAfE/LEGITIMATE?? (Hope i explained well)

Placement of #coolsculpting #coolmini for the chin and jawline

The Coolsculpting CoolMini is designed to eliminate submental at or the double chin to better define the jawline. The exact placement of the Cool mini applicator depends on the shape of your neck and distribution of the fat. Treatments are individualized for each patient. One of the benefits of the coolmini is that it can be safely applied centrally or on the sides of the neck to target fat in these areas. Whether it is the neck, abdomen, love handles or other area, it is not uncommon to have overlapping treatments, especially if those overlapping areas possess the maximum amount of fatty tissue.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Mini Produces Improvement in Your Double Chin That Lasts

Hello and thank-you for your question.

We offer the CoolMini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate.  For optimal results, 2 treatments are generally required. The treatments are separated by 4-6 weeks. Treatments are planned using templates of the CoolMini applicator. For fat localized to the sub mental chin, a single applicator per session may be required.  If there is significant fat more laterally in the neck, 2 or 3 overlapping applicators may be required to produce the optimal result.  We also offer Kybella and often use the two to develop customized a non-invasive alternative to surgical options.I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who offers all these options to discuss what is best for you.

Best regards,Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. The amount of applicators one will  need is very patient specific.  

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Cool mini and NYC

We have had fabulous results with the cool mini applicator being placed centrally and one treatment.  A follow up treatment may be needed one month afterwards for a larger area.  Best to consult an expert.  It is best to use one single treatment without any overlap.  I would then wait a few months to see if you need another treatment or Kybella for a small area. Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting (CoolMini) for the chin

CoolSculpting has given us an applicator, (the CoolMini), that can be used in the bra fat area on the back, the area by the armpit, the knees, and under the chin. Folks are very excited about this. We have used it in our office and have very nice results. Best to talk with your well trained, experienced CoolSculpting provider to see if you are an appropriate candidate. Tell them what your reasonable goals are. Together you will come up with a plan. The cost will depend on how many cycles you need.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

CoolMini

We have had excellent results by using the technique you describe above.  It provides two treatments for the overlapping area in the center, which is a bonus as well.  Not everyone  is a candidate for that, but if you are (based on measuring in your consultation) that is a terrific option.

Depending on how much excess fat you have, many do not require a second treatment.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin area

Yes, the Coolsculpting procedure can be effective for the submental area of the upper neck. The FDA recently approved the CoolMini applicator for this problem. It is difficult to be sure what you are describing without pictures.  You really do need to go in to be assessed by an experienced plastic surgeon who can properly discuss the full range of surgical and nonsurgical options with you during an in person consultation.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

CoolMini for the chin

In the largest study done on CoolMini for submental fat, the CoolMini device was placed at the midline.  There was approximately a 20% fat reduction after 1-2 treatments done 6 weeks apart.  While it is difficult to answer your question without examining your chin and the surrounding anatomy, the most common technique uses the midline approach.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolMini for excess fat around jawline

Hi Miss_Del05,
It is not easy to advise as to whether your treatment protocol is the best way to approach your double chin area since I can not assess your 'problem' area.  It is possible that more than one applicator be used in one session but is not the most common way of approaching the double chin. The studies were based on one applicator in the centre of the double chin area with a second treatment repeated after about a month. As this applicator is new, the more conservative approach considering your age and what you have described is possibly the one applicator in the centre to be repeated a second time.  The most important thing is that you look for a credible clinic with a lot of experience.

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Help with CoolSculpting (CoolMini)

Dear Miss Del05,
Each CoolSculpt hand piece is a specific size and shape, while each patient comes in with their unique fat distribution and amount. As this Coolsculpting on the body where there may be areas of overlap, the same goes for the Mini. You might also require 2 or more treatments for the best result depending on the amount of fat you have as well. That too would be safe and legitimate.
Good luck with your treatments! The Mini is a great addition to out Coolsculpting options.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon