Should I have a revision rhinoplasty with my revision septoplasty? (Photos)

I've had two previous nose operations as a teenager to fix a deviated septum (a septoplasty and a septo-rhinoplasty). Now ten years later, my septoplasty needs doing again and my external nose shape has been distorted - giving me a bend to one side and also causing my profile to protrude. I would like a small adjustment to my nose to make it neater, however I'm feeling nervous about the potential result In your opinion - do I need rhinoplasty? and what exactly should be reshaped? which approach?

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi, 

The best way to see what you are comfortable with and if you would be happy with your outcome is to have your nose computer imaged. This will give you a realistic picture of your nose after the rhinoplasty. It is difficult to access the rhino approach because every procedure varies and is specialized to fit the patients desired outcome. You should seek out a surgeon that has experience with these types of procedures to avoid any revisions in the future. In good hands, you should get a great result. 

Dr. S

Post Septorhinoplasty Concerns

Dear lumalist, If you want aesthetic corrections to your nose then you would need a combination procedure of septorhinoplasty. I am unsure as why your septum would need surgery for a third time so I would have a few consultations to determine if your breathing concerns are related to a deviated septum or another factor. I do believe in the hands of an expert surgeon you could have some refinements to your current nose that would provide a nice  aesthetic result. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Should have a revision rhinoplasty with my revision septoplasty?

It is very rare to undergo a septoplasty 3 times.  A full and thorough internal examination of the nose is required to figure out what else might be causing  the nasal obstruction.  It is also important to have very specific goals in mind on what we are trying to accomplish with a revision rhinoplasty procedure, since a revision is harder than a primary, and the healing is less predictable. 

Should I have a revision rhinoplasty with my revision septoplasty?

Hello lumalist - Thanks for your question. Yes, if you want physical changes to your nose shape and not just improved breathing, you will need to add a rhinoplasty procedure to your septoplasty surgery. Make sure your surgeon performing septoplasty has a lot of experience performing secondary rhinoplasty surgery. 

Good luck, 

Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon