Can I put furacin soluble dressing merhem after labiaplasty? Or can I put other creams to help healing process?

hi hope you can help me im 5 days post op and im wondering if i can put anything like a cream or a gel oranything at all to help heal faster my dad gave me something called furacin soluble dressing merhem but i thought id ask if i can use it or if not would anyone recommend me something i can use to help heal faster it still stings and it hurts too

Should I put ointments and/or dressings on my labiaplasty incision

No need for dressings or coverings or antibiotic ointments after LP. Gently applying Cu-3 gel or Aquaphor gel, if your surgeon recommends it, will help prevent "drying," but when in doubt, as Dr. Pelosi recommends, the least touching & tugging, the best!

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Dressing after labiaplasty

Thanks for the question. I usually tell my patients to try to keep the area clean and dry. Also, antibacterial and numbing sprays are reasonable option. If you want to put something, I would suggest you apply simple vaseline. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

When it comes to labiaplasty, you'll heal better if you keep the area clean

A moisture barrier is usually good for healing on other parts of the body, but along a relatively delicate scar such as labiaplasty, these tend to do more harm than good. Antibiotic ointments irritate surgical scars and will likely prolong the inflammation that accompanies healing. Better to simply irrigate the area lightly and allow it to air dry.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  In my practice I allow patients to maintain their surgical site with a thick emollient such as Aquaphor to help speed healing but each surgeon is different in their recovery protocols. Because each labiaplasty is an individualized procedure, I would reach out to your surgeon to discuss the possible use of an ointment.  Best wishes.