Could there be a problem with the implant?

I had breast augmentation about 7 years ago and for the past year or so I've been getting pain on/off in my left breast. It feels fine to touch, no lumps etc and the breast hasn't hardened at all. How would I know if something was wrong with the implant? Could the pain be hormonal?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Breast pain

The pain in your breast may or may not be related to breast implants. I would recommend you see your OBGYN (or whomever sees you for annual breast exams) and your plastic surgeon for evaluation.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Breast pain after augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry.  Your pain could be many things including things which are not related to the implants.  I suggest you first see your primary care doctor to be examined.  He/she probably will have you see your plastic surgeon as well. Good Luck.  

Pain in your breasts could be other things not related to your implants. I would suggest letting your plastic surgeon examine you, and then go to your medical doctor. A mammagram and/or ultrasound might be helpful. Also, I would suggest stopping all caffeine.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon