Post Rhinoplasty Uneven Swelling!

I'm four weeks post-op and I've started to notice there's a lot of swelling on the left side of my nose (especially around the area where my bump used to be) as opposed to my right side. I usually sleep on my right side during the night, could this be the reason for this uneven swelling? Have I caused any permanent damage to my nose shape? How can I fix this? Help!!

4 week post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon in the early stages of rhinoplasty recovery to see some asymmetries.  Often these asymmetries resolve themselves during the healing period.  It is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase.  Best of luck.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and swelling

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result.  In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that.  The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Uneven Swelling

It takes weeks to months for all the swelling to subside after Rhinoplasty.  You will not see the final result for months.  Stay in touch with your surgeon so he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD