What are my best options for cosmetic surgery after bariatric surgery? (photos)

My highest weight was 280 pounds. I am now about 138 and at a stable weight. I had gastric sleeve surgery a year ago. I am happy with my loss although am now left with a horrific looking body. I had sleeve complications so very scared about further surgery. My arms and thighs I will live with but what would you recommend to make the rest of me look good? Would a tummy tuck and breast lift be enough? What would you recommend I have done to complete my journey?

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question and photos.

Congratulations on your weight losss.. ! you appear to be a great candidate for a full tummy tuck combined with a lipo to mold your body figure and a breast lift/ augmentation with implants(optional)  to contour and shape your breast.

best of luck.

Options following weight loss

Assuming your health is cleared for surgery you appear to be a nice candidate for breast lift/augmentation, circumferential body lift with a fleur di lis Tummy Tuck.... Sometimes i stage procedures but some clients prefer one large surgery. This will depend on your physical assessment with the physician. Seek consultation with a BC PS in your area. Best of luck and congratulations on your weight loss! 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after massive weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss, great accomplishment!  To address all that excess skin a lower body lift and breast lift +/- implants would be a good start.  You can also do a thigh lift and arm lift later on.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Body Contouring After Bariatric Surgery

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. Congratulations on your dramatic weight loss. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a body contouring procedure, such as a body lift. This will include a circumferential incision around the abdomen, hips, and lower back, eliminating the excess tissue from your stomach and flanks. The body lift can be tailored to your unique needs, including additional procedures such as a breast lift or brachioplasty (arm lift). My recommendation is that you schedule an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, experienced in post-weight loss body contouring techniques. He/she will perform a physical examination and review your medical history, then suggest the most appropriate body contouring techniques for your needs.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Mommy Makeover Following Major Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss success! It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Recovery after massive weight loss

Thank you for asking about your weight loss surgery.

• First of all, what a great achievement to lose the weight and keep it off.
  • I think you want to discuss two options with your bariatric plastic surgeon -
  • First a tummy tuck and breast lift, since that is your approach.
  • And second the pros/cons of a lower body lift and  a breast lift combined with a lateral chest lift.
  • Given your weight, if you are healthy as well, it should be possible to do these at one time.
  • But a final plan should be made by discussions with your surgeon weighting your time for surgery, your goals and the ideal result.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Recommendations for post massive weight loss cosmetic rehab

Hi Cyte

Congratulations on your weight loss!

In looking at your pics, and not knowing much else, I would recommend a tummy tuck and lift.  You may consider a breast augmentation at the same time or later.  You may also want to consider a back lift at the same time as as tummy tuck (a 360 body lift).

I recommend that you consider staging procedures, that is, break up the procedures into multiple trips to the OR for safety, and to minimize wound healing risks.

After bariatric surgery, you are not able to take in fluids or nutrients as you did before, and this can negatively affect healing.  Also, some of these procedures carry significant risks even in non-weight loss patients.  Better safe than sorry.

Best of luck.

sek

Lower Body Lift and Breast Lift Beneficial after Massive Weight Loss #lowerbodylift #breastlift

• Congratulations on your tremendous weight loss!
  • We enjoy helping patients complete their weight loss journey by performing body contouring procedures to help with excess skin. 
  • A lower body lift would really help improve the appearance of you abdomen, lateral thighs, and waist.  
  • Additionally, a breast lift along with a breast implant could really transform the look of your breasts. 
  • Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with the above-mentioned procedures.
  • He/she will be able to review the technical aspects of these procedures and go over the post op recovery as well as possible complications. 
  • Best of luck to you, and thanks for sharing!

Post weight loss body contouring plan for a Texas patient

Congrats on your massive weight loss. A reasonable approach for you would be a circumferential body lift and breast lift with silicone implant augmentation. Both procedures could be completed under anesthesia in a reasonable amount of time. Other procedures such as arm and thigh lift surgery could be done at a second stage.

Surgery

Congratulations on your weight loss and from the photos you would benefit from a trunk lift and breast lift with an augmentation.  So see some experts in your area and become fully informed what your options are

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD