What are your opinions on skin excision for soft-tissue polly beak? (Photo)

Dr Keizo Fukuta presents a technique of skin excision for pollybeak deformity with minimal scarring. This is something I have been looking for for a while - tbh honest I would rather risk some visible scarring than live with my pollybeak. Is this technique practised elsewhere (in Europe perhaps)? What are your thoughts as a last resort? The bridge of my nose cannot be augmented further.

What are your opinions on skin excision for soft-tissue polly beak?

Hello pacificblue,
Thanks for your question.
Polly beak deformity is typically an anatomic problem, less a problem of excess soft tissue.
Supratip debulking and reshaping is used commonly to fix a polly beak deformity.  If you have  problem with excess skin, resection done properly can yield an acceptable scar.  If the scar is suboptimal, laser, dermabrasion, or microneedling can be performed to optimize it.
I hope this was helpful.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Polly beak deformity

I think most would agree that what you show in the photo is not a pollybeak.  Its a discordance in the degree of projection between the tip and the dorsum.  If anything, it is the opposite of a pollybeak.  Direct excision of skin might work for a pollybeak but is far from the standard and doesnt address the the most of cause which is under resection of the distal dorsal septum combined with poor tip support.  Your issue is correctable as well but requires a different approach as well.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Polly Beak Deformity Secondary to Excess Skin

If a polly beak deformity was secondary to excess skin the skin would have to be very thick and therefore may not heal well leaving an obvious scar. Be careful; if this fullness bothers you I can't imagine your response to a bad scar.