Nose tip is very bulbous. Could I get a successful re-shape that is more complimentary to the rest of my face? (photos)

What procedure should I ask for? How much is the shape likely to change?

Might not need it, but if you do - must do CLOSED SCARLESS RHINOPLASTY

You should ONLY consider closed scarless rhinoplasty (preferred by actresses and celebrities) because no risk of external scarring and much less healing and recovery time.  The goal is to finesse and enhance the nose without drastic change.  Meaningful refinement is the key.  Seek counsel with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs closed scarless rhinoplasty as 100% of his surgical practice so you know you can guarantee the expertise.  (aka don't get your nose done by a breast surgeon or a facelift surgeon).  All the best!

Can I Successfully Improve My Wide Bulbous Tip?

The size of your bulbous tip can be successfully reduced by a rhinoplasty specialist. Thick skin will always compromise the definition after surgery but I always find that it is difficult to accurately evaluate the skin in pictures like this. Consult with a surgeon who devotes most of their practice to this work so your skin can be evaluated in person and reasonable goals established.

Tip rhinoplasty for nasal refinement?

You appear to be a very good candidate for tip rhinoplasty to reduce the bulbousness of your nasal tip.  Avoidance of overly aggressive surgery and rotation of your tip is important but your features can be changed positively to better balance with your facial proportions and aesthetics.  I would recommend an open rhinoplasty with a stairstep incision across your columella to minimize any visibility.  Each surgeon will have his/her preferred technique but the potential for improvement is very high.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty. This way they can perform a nasal examination and review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. Based on your photographs, I feel that you would benefit from an alarplasty and tip refinement. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. An alarplasty is the technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction and this procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nose tip is very bulbous. Could I get a successful re-shape that is more complimentary to the rest of my face?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.  

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Yes

A tip rhinoplasty would be the option to make changes and refinement to your nasal tip. See a board certified surgeon who has experience in rhinoplasty. Good Luck.

Nose tip is very bulbous. Could I get a successful reshaping of the nose?

The bulbous tip can be reduced with a rhinoplasty procedure which includes a conservative cartilage removal and suture techniques applied to the bulbous nasal tip cartilages. Wide nostrils are also reduced with an alar-plasty. For more information, diagrams and many examples, please see the link and the video below