Why is my nose like this after rhinoplasty. I am 11 months post op. (photos)

My nostril is higher on one side. Is this normal? Will it change with time or do I need to get it fixed.

11 moths post op

Thank you for your question.  It is not unusual to have asymmetries during the early healing period.  When patients have questions I always invite them to come to my office so I can fully evaluate the situation. Best of luck! 

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty - Asymmetry

I would recommend following up with your surgeon  to ensure the best outcome. The swelling after a rhinoplasty is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nostril height different after rhinoplasty.

Nostril height different after rhinoplasty. This is often found naturally in many noses. If it bothers u it can be adjusted to create better symmetry. If it doesn't bother u leave it alone. 

Why is my nose like this after rhinoplasty. I am 11 months post op

Ala asymmetry is a common issue in noses. It can occur due to a range of reasons some of which can be repaired. Most people have facial asymmetry and that can mean both vertical height and projection differences between the base of your left and right ala. In addition, in postoperative cases, you can have asymmetric suturing or trimming of your alar cartilages. depending on how much this asymmetry bothers you and how present it was in your pre-op nose, it can be revised to give you a more symmetric result. The revision can be as simple as revising the tip or could involve cartilage and skin grafting.Look for an experienced and properly trained plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery. See more than one consult ad make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Asymmetry after Rhinoplasty

It is unlike your nostril asymmetry will improve in the future. The retracted nostril rim can be lowered with a small cartilage graft. If there is asymmetry of your tip cartilages this should also be corrected.

Without pre-op photos- it's difficult to comment accurately. Nostril asymmetry as well as other bodily asymmetries are normal in most people. If after careful comparison to your pre-op condition there is a noticeable difference- you should address this with your Operating Surgeon.