Is this normal swelling straight after filler (resealing)? (photos)

I had lip filler about 3 hours ago. It looked ok at first but now one side is massively swollen. Does this look like normal swelling?

Swelling After Lip Filling

Dear susan_1981:

Yes, this looks like normal swelling after lip filling.  The swelling should subside within 1-2 weeks.  Please ensure you follow up with your injector 2 weeks after injections.  All the best.

Is This Normal Swelling Straight After Filler?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Swelling, and possibly bruising, is considered normal after Juvederm treatment, especially in the lips.  Icing is beneficial for up to 48 hours after treatment.  Arnica is also helpful for minimizing normal postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please allow 2 weeks for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve in order to see your final result.  If you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Is this normal swelling straight after filler (resealing)?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin nature of the tissues of the lips, swelling is not uncommon.  Because differing amounts of injections and filler material may have been placed to each side of the lip, asymmetrical swelling can occur.  Though your injector is your best source of information and reassurance, I would allow your results time to mature over the next several weeks, while keeping your head elevated at night and using cold compresses and anti-inflammatory medications to help reduce the swelling.  Hope this helps.

Swelling after lip augmentation

Swelling is very normal after injecting lip fillers. The degree of swelling is very variable from patient to patient and although the swelling you show in the photos is somewhat asymmetrical, it looks within "normal range".

We usually advise our patients to apply an ice pack for 5 minutes at a time several times a day immediately following lip augmentation.

Hope this helps.

Ralph Massey, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologist

Lip swelling after filler.

This is probably a bruise developing. It things change significantly, ask your doctor about it. Otherwise, sleep with your head of bed elevated and take arnica. Avoid strenuous activity for the rest of the day too. Swelling can take 10 days to resolve.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Knowing What's Normal with Lip Augmentation with Fillers (juvederm, restylane)

Yes, there can sometimes be asymmetrical swelling after an injection. Swelling can last 1-2 weeks. You can apply firm pressure between two fingers on the lips for a few days, 5 mins a time, which can sometimes help decrease swelling and even out the lumps. Best, Dr. Emer

Swelling after fillers

Immediately after a filler swelling is quite normal. It looks in the photos that one side is more than the other. This is abnormal and I would suggest to go to a follow up to your doctor. Best of luck. 

Lip swelling

It is quite common to have swelling and it may be asymmetrical. I would wait for 2 weeks until the swelling goes down to see if you have any true asymmetry, and if you do, follow up with you injector.

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. Ice and head elevation can help. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling right after Fillers

It is normal to have swelling after fillers.  I would ice and sleep elevated and it should all resolve in about a week.  Best, Dr. Green