Is it normal for my left side vest to be little saggy after 2 months and 10 days of gynecomastia surgery? (photo)

I had tissue removed and a bit of skin. I understand it can take quite some time to see perfect results. I am just worried about this side of the chest. Keep in mind I am also little over weight. I am 6 feet and I weight 93.6 it can be because of me being over weight. I also am doing some exercises, not so hard ones but just for the chest to get in shape. All in all I'm not liking this side of my Chest. Please help. Thanks

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Asymmetry after gynecomastia surgery

If your left breast was larger before surgery you needed more skin removed from a larger breast. It is also possible that more breast/fat tissue was left on left side after reduction or, you have a small seroma (fluid collection underneath the skin). These are issues that you need to discuss with your surgeon. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery Recovery

Hi duke999,
Thanks for the post and the photos. The "saggy" skin that you are referring to is likely a result of weight fluctuations which may have decreased the ability of the skin to redrape or tighten after a surgery such as this.The issue is that when the skin is loose, tightening it comes with more scars which may not be an acceptable trade-off for some men. 
I would recommend waiting at least 6 months before deciding whether any thing else need to be done.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Loose skin can compromised result after gynecomastia treatment if the breast volume is substantial.

I don't think you can expect any improvement in the loose skin. If the breast mound was sizable the skin may not contract to accommodate the reduction in volume.