Is this normal after Juvederm? (Photo)

I have had my lips done for the first time yesterday around noon and I have swelled and bruised on one side more then the other is this normal I feel the right side looks bigger/ rounder

JUVEDERM, lips and swelling

Swelling is almost universally seen, it can take up to 2 weeks to settle. This can happen with any HA fillers including Juvederm and Restylane. Be patient, and the final results will be there by week two. Dr Davin Lim, Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Juvederm for lips

It can take two to three weeks for any bruising and swelling to subside.  If you are not happy with your results at that time, please return to your doctor.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Fillers can cause bruising and swelling that can last 2-3 weeks. I suggest seeing an expert and if you are unhappy after that time reverse the filler.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bruising and swelling after Juvederm

Thank you for your question rosenewton. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the face. Swelling and bruising can occur after any injection and can be asymmetric. Swelling and bruising usually last up to two weeks at which point final results are seen. It is important to be patient for the results. For my patients I recommend applying cold compresses to decrease swelling. In our office we treat bruises as early as the next day; this makes the bruise go away much faster. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Bruising and swelling after Lip Injections

Hello! Please do not get too worried yet. Swelling after injections can be asymmetric, distorting borders, and making the making the lip look flat out weird for a few days. Give your lips and the filler a little bit of time to become acquainted - this sort of thing almost always goes away on its own with a few days of icing and arnica. If after about two weeks you still do not like the lip contour then you can dissolve some of the filler. This reversal can be done in a very specific way - so you can do just one side and leave the rest of the filler alone. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Juvederm swelling

Juvederm can swell more than other fillers, and lips are known to swell up a lot in most people. Use some ice to the lips and take some ibuprofen.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Normal Swelling And Bruising After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Swelling and bruising after Juvederm injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing is helpful for up to 48 hours after the procedure.  Arnica is also beneficial for minimizing postprocedure swelling and bruising.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to allow normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  I would suggest that you give it 2 weeks before judging your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please be sure to see your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Don't Panic!

Rose, this is entirely normal 1 day after injection. Remember that the lips are probably the most vascular area and most prone to bruising and swelling. Keep up with the cold compresses and it should settle down well within a few weeks.

Daniel Ezra, MD, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after lip augmentation with filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Swelling

Hi ~ Great question. The lips are prone to swelling after filler injection. The swelling that occurs is not always symmetrical and what you are experiencing is normal. Apply ice to your lips for the next 2 days to help this resolve faster. It will take 1-2 weeks before you can really tell how your filler has settled and if there is any asymmetry. Good Luck!

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician