My nipple is slightly different to my left after Breast Augmentation & MASTOPEXY. Why? (photos)

I had my op 26th of Jan. We are now the 19th of Feb, I had tubular breasts and a slight drop to them. So I had a mastopexy and implant and my surgeon went in and over the muscle with the implant. 395CC. My left boob has healed/healing perfectly but my right seems abit like its torn? I'm not really sure. I'm going to call the company I went with but just want someone else's advise. Thanks

My nipple is slightly different to my left after Breast Augmentation & MASTOPEXY. Why?

You appear to have had areolar reduction in addition to breast augmentation. I recommend you return to your surgeon. You may have a permanent purse-string suture that will need to be dealt with in order to get your wound to heal. I would like to repeat what I recently said to another individual about tuberous breasts: this breast variant often gets overtreated. I try to avoid areolar reductions and periareolar mastopexies as the healing may be complicated, the scars are often not pretty and revisions are frequently needed. All the best.

Healing of mastopexy incision

Dear Chaz010591,
Your photos appears to show a slight separation of your incision called a dehiscence. Underlying sutures may slow the healing and might need to eventually be removed to speed things up. Your surgeon will likely recommend using an antibiotic ointment and bandaid or possibly an occlusive wound dressing like Duoderm. This should heal in fine, but with an underlying implant it is important to take good care of it.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Open tissue after Mastopexy

Your picture is consistent with an incision that has opened slightly. I typically advise patients in this situation to bathe in the shower, clean the wound with soap and water and cover lightly with a topical antibiotic (neosporin or bacitracin) and a band aid. It will heal on it's own leaving a slightly wider scar than other places that can be revised as necessary at a later time. Please be sure to talk to your plastic surgeon and follow their advice no matter what you read here.

Best of Luck

Dr. J

A. Dean Jabs M.D. Ph.D. FACS
Bethesda MD

Incision

You are still early postop and it would appear that you have had a benelli or periareola lift. It is not unusual for things to look as they do. You have a little wound separation around the areola and you should keep in touch with your PS. This will heal but best that your PS advises you.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

My nipple is slightly different. Why?

Thank you for your question and photograph. It appears that your right nipple suffered an incision separation between your areola and the surrounding breast skin tissue. I would let your surgeon know so that they can offer you local wound care options of treatment as your body will need to heal this from the "inside-out."  Hope this helps.

Wound healing

From the photograph, It appears that the wound has separated just slightly between those Steri-Strips. In my opinion, this is not a big deal and can easily be managed with dressing changes in antibiotic ointment for my patients. Ask your plastic surgeon what he or she thinks you should do. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Wound Separation

Chaz:  It looks like you had a little wound separation.  It's not a huge deal.  It does happen from time to time with mastopexies.  I would definitely follow up with your plastic surgeon and follow the recommendations given you but more than likely the wound will heal in a few weeks.  If you were my patient I would tell you to treat it with some antibiotic ointment (neosporin or bacitracin) and cover it until it closes.  If you are unhappy with the resulting scar it could easily be revised 6 months down the road.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Separation of the Wound

Dear chaz010591,

You have a dehiscence or separation of the wound. Typically in an areola reduction such as you have had, a GoreTex suture which is permanent is placed so that it does not stretch out later. That may be hindering the healing and may need to be removed under local anesthesia. Once the scar heals in (provided the implant is not exposed), you may require a scar revision down the road or replacement of that GoreTex suture. In general, if you do not have a permanent suture in place, the areola will gradually stretch out again to be quite large.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Peri-areolar mastopexy

It appears at 3 o'clock there is a slight wound dehiscence. It appears that it will heal on its own and doesn't require early intervention. It is possible that the scar will be wide in this location and a small scar revision procedure would be beneficial down the road. Be sure to stay in touch with your PS. 

Breast inicision

Thanks for you for your inquiry, it is hard to tell from the picture and do not see the left to compare, but if there is a wound, you definitely want to discuss it with your surgeon. Many minor wounds will heal well with proper care, but get a hold of your surgeon.