Is the new pigmentation melasma or PIH?

I had melasma since 2011. I had patches on upper cheeks. Last year after second session of cynosure laser i developed darkening above my upper lip, and chin. It's like this whole section of the face is 3-4 shades darker than the rest. Is this melasma or PIH? Nothing has worked on it from dermamelan, HQ10% + kojic acid 4% , and few other creams. I want to know if this is melasma or not. My dermatologist said melasma but i never had it before the laser!!

Melasma versus PIH

I treat so many patients with melasma and even more who consult me after having had laser which caused PIH.  It sounds like you have both and the laser made it worse with significant PIH.  This is more difficult to reduce but I have found the combination of Cosmelan, chemical peels, and my pigment protocol that I have designed for my patients removes the pigmentation over time.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Post Inflammatory Hyper-pigmentation

Melasma is caused by internal changes in the chemical balance of the body. That is why it frequently occurs around pregnancy, etc. PIH occurs after any injury to the skin. What you have is, therefore, the latter. Some of what you have used such as the hydroquinone should work but needs to be used properly. I prefer use of hydroquinone in the Obagi Nu-Derm System since it works several times better than the hydroquinone alone. The only machine or other invasive device that can improve you without causing more PIH is an IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) that has a very specific wavelength range (between 500-950 nm like the Elipse machine) that will not cause heating of the surrounding tissue or cells. Therefore, do not get talked into any laser, peel, microneedling or other invasive procedure.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Treating Recurring Melasma with Peels, Clear + Brilliant Laser, Microneedling/PRP

This is hard to answer without a picture, but melasma is a recurring condition. I recommend a formal evaluation.  You need combination of peels, skin care, clear + brilliant laser, microneedling/prp, and proper sun protection.  You can get amazing results if you go to a laser and skin care expert who specializes in melasma. Best, Dr. Emer.