Natural 34 B - have 360cc make me a natural d - am thinking of 620cc next.

Has anyone got any advise - I'm changing my implant from a 360cc to either a 560 or 620. I don't want to look ridiculous but don't want to be disappointed like last time - any advice or pics ? X

B to D Cup Breast Implant Exchange

Implant size and cup size do not equate well, and cup size is an inexact measurement as it will vary greatly among bra companies and even within the same company.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals
and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking 
augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft 
tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, 
the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure 
that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. 

From 360 to 620 ccs breast implants?

Thanks for your question.  Though I have placed implants of that size I always warn my patients of the future risks associated especially with placement of implants of 500 ccs +    This includes future stretching and thinning of your skin and breast tissue, potential increased palpability and visible waviness and the development of ptosis and implant dropdown leading to the eventual desire for an even bigger implant (whereas a skin reduction with mastopexy incisions would be necessary instead).  My advice is to be aware of the downside of large implants and think of being a bit more conservative in your goals.  Good luck.Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Best breast implants for revisionary breast surgery?

Thank you for the question.  Although it is not possible to provide you with definitive advice without an person evaluation, most patients are able to "go larger" at a second stage, once the breast tissues have expanded (after first-time breast augmentation).  ***Sometimes, during this revisionary surgery, adjustment of the breast implant capsules is also necessary to achieve the desired outcome.

You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “ridiculous” or "natural D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Upsizing advice

Patients frequently upsize and the amount of upsizing you're thinking about doing is very normal. At my office we have a lot of photos of such a request. I would estimate that you'll go up one to 1.5 cup sizes with that volumetric change, but no one can tell you if that's too much or not enough without seeing you in person. Good luck!

Scott W. Harris, MD, FACS