Have my breasts been reduced enough? 300 grams were removed from each side. (Photo)

I had BBR surgery this week. I was previously a 34FF and hoped to go as small as possible - realistically this meant a C. 300 grams were removed from each side, and I'm now wearing a 36D due to swelling. 300 grams from each breast doesn't seem like much? Will this be enough to result in a noticeable reduction. I'm 5' 7" and 154lbs. I know it will reduce swelling but I'm still worried they won't go down anywhere near as much as I'd requested/hoped.

Enough was removed

Thanks for your question and the photo. I think you will have a great result. One difficult thing to communicate sometimes is how much breast tissue has to be left behind to supply the nipple and areola with enough blood. If too much is removed then the nipple can die. I think your result is great. Hang in there and let the swelling go down. Best of Luck!

Is 300g per side "enough" of a breast reduction?

Based on your pre-operative and post-operative photos, I think your surgeon has done a great job from a technical standpoint. But how much is "enough" and how much would be "too much" is something that only you and your surgeon can determine. Once your healing is complete (6-12 months), and assuming you don't gain weight in the meantime, your final breast size should be very proportionate for your height and weight.

But that proportion doesn't have to satisfy my eye or wishes; it's your goal that is either being met . . . or not.

Bra manufacturers size their bras in different ways, so I would first question whose bras fit your pre-operative appearance with 34 FF? But I've always said that bras either fit or don't fit, and if they fit well and look nice, then whatever letters are on the label are OK by me--just don't take those letters as any sort of "absolute" size determination, any more than you should take the 36D you are wearing now as indicative of size.

I think you have definitely achieved a "noticeable reduction." But if that's not small enough for your goals, and not achievable with weight loss, then more can be removed. BTW, that's much easier that "too small" and now what do you do? (Implants)

For now, relax and be thankful for your surgeon's good work. Honest! I think you'll be just fine when all is said and done and your healing is much further down the line. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Have my breasts been reduced enough? 300 grams were removed from each side

I try not to loo at the amount of weight removed but "look" at the excellent result obtained in my over the internet opinion... 

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos I think you are on the way to having an excellent result. It can take several months for all of the swelling to resolve after a breast reduction. I usually tell my patients that it can take up to a year before we know what the final result will look like.  Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Breast size desires

In some patients it is difficult if not impossible to reduce their breasts to a very small size. The reason for this has to do with blood and nerve supply. The nipple/areola complex has blood vessels that travel through the breast to supply nutrients to it. If these vessels are cut, then the nipple dies - not good! When doctors perform a breast reduction, they do everything possible to avoid damage to this blood supply. In large dense breasts, like yours, this may require a limit to the amount of breast tissue that can be removed.

I hope this helps in your understanding of final breast size.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast reduction

Too much or too little is a value judgement that only you and your surgeon can answer but from the photos you have a very good result

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD