How many months after breast enlargement do you forget you have had them done?

E.g. Completely relaxed and like they are part of you? Do you feel ever forget about them or do you find it changes your life dramatically, the way you sleep, the way you feel at the gym ? (After healing time of 6 weeks of course ) . When do the days pass by and you haven't thought about the implants being inside you? Look forward to hearing views , BA booked for 24th Nov 2016, will post photos later !

The average patient in my practice who has an uncomplicated breast augmentation using breast implants 350 cc and below, begins to feel that the implants are part of her body, is comfortable and feels like she has natural breasts is between 6-8 weeks.  However some patients require 3 months to "forget they have implants".

When do you feel that the implants are a part of you?

While everyone's recovery may be slightly different, most of my patients will feel that the implants "are a part of them" by about 3-6 months after surgery.  Typically, I advise my patients that they will be sore for the first week or so, but should be able to start driving 3-5 days after surgery.  And once they start working out again at about 3 weeks, some women may feel that their breasts "are going to fall off" with heavy aerobic activities like running.  Also, when you start performing push-ups or other chest exercises as part of your workout, it may feel awkward initially.  Nevertheless, there comes a point between 3-6 months, where you no longer think of them and truly feel that they belong and are a part of you.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Adjusting to a breast augmentation

Great question!  I believe many of my patients feel that the implants have fully settled, look natural, and feel like they have adjusted to the feeling of the implants by 3 months out.  Having said that, even at three months, patients may notice an occasional odd ache or tingle of pain.  They may still be getting used to doing their planks or pushups and feeling the muscle contract a bit differently at their chest.  The base of their breast and the incision may still feel a bit numb.  The scar line is still softening and fading.  But, having said all of that, most women feel free to live their lives and not think about the implants frequently by that point.  Everyone is on a slightly different path to full recovery after surgery and feedback and experiences will differ.  I am simply speaking from what I see as the majority experience.  Hope that helps!

What you are describing is the ideal situation (outcome) that occurs for most patients who undergo  breast augmentation surgery (and do not experience complications of any kind). Keep in mind however that some patients never get to the point where they completely "forget about them"... In other words, there is a whole range of patient experience after breast augmentation,  worthy of much more discussion than I can do justice to here.  Furthermore, patients who are undergoing breast augmentation surgery should learn about worst-case scenarios and should not assume that every patient undergoing breast augmentation experiences the ideal outcome.

Having said that, most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.   It  is also worth noting that, that some patients will experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link/video helps.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.