Mommy makeover. Is my allergy to gauze pads a reason for any surgeon to refuse my surgery?

I want to go mummy makeover but I'm allergic to gauze pads. That is the reason for any Surgion refuse to do my surgery?

Allergic to gauze pads

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

1. A surgeon is very unlikely to refuse to operate because of any allergy
  2. A gauze allergy is uncommon - is the allergen known?
  3. Different gauzes have different components  - if the allergen is known it should be avoided whether or not it is in gauze.
  4. Often today we do not need to use gauze to cover wounds
  5. It can be completely avoided in a mommy make-over, both in your bandages afterwards and avoided in the operating room while you are asleep.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Gauze Allergy

Thank you for your question. Always alert your doctors to any allergies. There are multiple other options for dressings that are not gauze pads for a mommy makeover. As always make sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform the procedure. Good luck!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Mommy Make over, Allergy to gauze.

Thank you for your question. All allergies should be discussed with your surgeon at the time of consultation. An allergy to gauze should not interfere or prohibit you from proceeding with a Mommy Make over.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Gauze allergy

A tummy tuck procedure requires no postoperative dressings. So even if you have an allergy to gauze you should be fine.

Allergy to guaze pads

Most of these situations are not do to the gauze pad but to the tape.  there are several options that are not traditional gauze pads that maybe helpful.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

There are many types of dressings that are available.  Your surgeon will need to know which ones specifically you are allergic to so that they can be avoided.  Share this information with your surgeon as early as possible to give her time to prepare and have all supplies necessary to proceed safely with your surgery.

Camille Cash, MD

Allergy to gauze

Your PS should not refuse your surgery but do let the doctor know about your allergy so that other dressings can be used.  Make sure to see a board certified PS who can examine you and go over your options.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Allergies and mommy makeover

Your surgeon will need to have something to dress the incisions, but there are several options and it is a question of identifying which ones you are allergic too and which ones are OK. It will depend on the capabilities of the facility to provide alternatives, and not all surgical centers may be able to accommodate you in this way.

Richard Baxter, MD

Thank you for the question. It is most likely that you will be able to proceed, despite the allergy. My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Then communicate your concerns/questions/presence of allergies carefully. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Mommy Makeover

It is my pleasure to answer your question. Allergy to gauze pads doesn't refuse your surgery. Please tell your plastic surgeon about it.

Aramis Vega, MD