If Melasma is similar to acne i.e. it has treatments but no cure, then it should also go away with change in hormones?

I used to get lot of acne on my chin and cheeks. but, 2-3 years ago I stopped getting acne. currently, i have no spots and my skin is completely acne free. I have fibroids and mild case of pcos. But, i have no weight issues. I have nice hair and good skin texture. But, now i suffer from melasma. My hope is that like my acne eventually disappeared with my hormones settling down, is it possible that my body will expel the melasma in the similar fashion?

Melasma and Best Treatment - NYC

I have been treating some of the most difficult cases of melasma for years, especially complicated by laser treatments.  I have found that the combination of Cosmelan, chemical peels, and bleaching creams (with strict sun avoidance) is the best way to remove the melasma and keep it away.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

If Melasma is similar to acne i.e. it has treatments but no cure, then it should also go away with change in hormones No, please see my answer below. The best treatment for melasma.. There is no best treatment. You must wear sunblock all the time and you must reapply it. There are many products that are topical including TNS, Sledgehammer, Lytera, and Sente Dermal Repair. These products truly do help to eve skin tone. In addition, they help with texture of the skin and hydration. Fraxel and chemical peels do help and you need to certified dermatologist. Melasma is chronic. It is not going to go away with hormonal fluctuations.

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma persists

Melasma can be lighter without sun exposure but it does go way by its
ef. Treatment is possible but not predictable. A safe treatment would be the vi peel which is safe in any color of skin and leaves redness for one week.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon