Lumps on the top upper lip- will this go away? Please help me by answering this...

7 days ago I decided to get 0.5ml Juverderm on my lips. After i noticed swelling which I was told would go down. However, I am now noticing a lump on the left hand side of my top lip- it looks odd and makes my lips abnormal. I have tried to contact the doctor who did it but she told me it would go down after some time and I can also try gently massaging it. My only concern is after the fillers wear out after 6 months, will these lumps still stay? Will they deform my lips? It is scaring me :/

Speak with your surgeon

I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon. It could be that these lumps will resolve themselves once your swelling completely subsides, but always best to err on side of caution. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Filler

The best person to help you is your treating physician. I suggest you see them in person or see another board certified surgeon or physician in your area. An in-person evaluation is needed to adequately evaluate your situation and options.

The foregoing information provided is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.
You assume full responsibility for how you choose to use this information.
Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Lip swelling

It is possible that the lump you're noticing is due to the juvederm, but also possible it's due to a small hematoma, or bruise, which will last up to 10 days, and massage will make that worse. If the lump is due to juvederm, it can be reduced in size or removed with hyaluronidase injections, performed by your doctor,almost immediately.

Deborah Elder, MD
Charlottesville Dermatologist

Lumps and juvederm

1/2 cc of juvederm is a very small amount.  Any lumps associated with this will  go away.  Massage will help.  My Best,  Dr Commons

Lips and Juvederm

Juvederm often gets swollen initially because the gel is so hydrophilic.  You have to wait two weeks to see the full effects.  You should try some gentle massage and ice in the meanwhile.  If after two weeks you can see swelling and is not resolving and still looks uneven you should return to your treating physician for Vitrase injections.

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It is common to get swelling after fillers into the lips. It is not normal to have irregularities or severe swelling. If you are unhappy you should speak to your physician and have the area injected with hyaluronidase, an enzyme that reverses the hyaluronic acid filler. For the next injections, consider Restylane Silk with cannula injection, this technique will limit the pain, swelling or bruising after the filler placement. It often takes up to two weeks for swelling to subside on its own. Find an expert in filler injections for your future treatments. Best, Dr. Emer.