How long does it take for breast tissue to get a bit softer, not completely?

I am aware it takes months for everything to heal and I am not impatient as its been only 10 days since my BA. My real question is how long will it take for them to be just a bit softer so it's not painful when bending to wash my teeth for example? So just the edge of my breasts to be less tight.

Softening after breast augmentation

Early softening occurs as swelling comes down. I usually tell my patients to expect 60% of the swelling to be down by six weeks and 90% by six months. Your scars should be noticeably softer by one year postoperative.

Softening After BA

Thanks for your question! In my experience of doing thousands of these, it usually takes between 3-6 months for the implants to really "soften up". I like my patients to start doing implant massage at 3 weeks out, and I've anecdotally found that ghis really helps. Ask your plastic surgeon about it. Best of luck to you! 

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. It depends how swollen you are. Some people soften dramatically by 3 weeks and others take 6 weeks. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation - how long for tissues to soften

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • A lot depends on how large your implants are.
  • The larger the implant, the longer it takes for the pain and swelling to subside.
  • In general, things should slowly improve with softening starting in 2 weeks and much more noticeable improvement in 6 weeks.
  • Ask your surgeon if this is reasonable for you to expect, given the implants you have.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. My patients typically find that the majority of swelling and pain is resolved by 2 weeks post op. Breasts can remain firm/high for months after surgery but drastic swelling and tightness occurs within the first couple of weeks. Let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have any ongoing concerns.
All the best