Can I have larger implants for my 2nd BA? (Photo)

Before I had my ba I was barely a 32 A 12cm diameter. The implants I have are 11.75cm diameter 400cc Im now a 32E/F. I really want a second ba to go a lot bigger ideally I would like 750-800cc but the these measure between 15/15.5cm diameter would it be possible for me to have this size?

Can I have larger implants for my 2nd BA?

Thank you for the question.  Although it is not possible to provide you with definitive advice without an person evaluation, most patients are able to "go larger" at a second stage, once the breast tissues have expanded (after first-time breast augmentation).  Sometimes, during this revisionary surgery, adjustment of the breast implant capsules is also necessary to achieve the desired outcome. You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.  

Larger Implants with the Revision

Yes, it is possible to #increase your implant size with a #revision. However, the #pocket will need adjustment and a lift may be necessary; to better #support the new implant. Additionally, a mesh for further support may be helpful depending on the #implant size and skin #elasticity.

Size

Let your plastic surgeon guide you to the best choice in size. If you choose an implant that is too large for your frame, it will never quite fit and will be too wide. You will also find difficulty in selecting bras to fit properly. Plus, 750-800 cc implants are heavy, may give you neck and back pain, and be more prone to sage over time. Big breasts sitting on your lap are not pretty.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Can I have larger implants for my 2nd breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  I am a firm believer in "dimensional planning", where implant sizes are selected to match chest wall dimensions.  The method was designed to provide patients with consistent, predictable results while minimizing long-term complications.  Some potential risks of using implants that are too large for your frame include over-stretching your skin  (resulting in visible implants / visible implant rippling / drooping of your breasts) and symmastia.  Correcting these issues may involve significant scarring on the breasts (breast lift) as well as significant expense (correction of symmastia using a tissue matrix like Strattice). While an in person consultation would be the only way to determine other implant sizes / profiles that may be appropriate for you, I would caution against trying to use implants that are too large for your frame.Best wishes.

Craig S. Rock, MD