Really large swelling top lip fillers? Feeling very low about it

I'm 24 hours after 0.5ml restylane filler top lip. All I wanted was better proportion lips and it's huge. Much bigger than my bottom lip. Will this go down. I'm really upset and it looks like I've been punched in the face. Plus my top lip is now a lot bigger than my bottom which looks ridiculous I'm icing for 15 mins every hour. Will this help or should I be doing something else? Thanks

Lip Filler Swelling

Hi golfer81,

Great question.  Being 24 hours after your injection, swelling is completely expected and is in no way telling of your final result.  The swelling is due in part to the physical trauma of the multiple injections that were likely necessary, in addition to the acute histamine release and inflammatory reaction that occurs.  Over the coming 7-10 days the swelling/acute inflammation will decrease and the filler will also begin to absorb water.  You should give it at least 2 full weeks before judging the result or considering a change if you can.  Also, remember that the advantage of hyaluronic acid fillers is that they can be dissolved with a substance known as Vitrase.

Beverly Hills Physician

Hello, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon