Labiaplasty gone wrong? Is it me or does my labia reduction look wrong and are my stitches are open? (Photos)

i feel like im going crazy, I cant walk properly or sit down it stings like crazy and i think di ripped open stiches what are these big round circley bubble lumpy things? what is that? and why have i got like a split through one of them would it heal that way and would them bubbles stay? please help me i feel like im going crazy right now

Labiaplasty gone wrong? Is it me or does my labia reduction look wrong and are my stitches are open?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Due to the thin tissues in this area significant swelling can and has taken place as a result of your surgery.  This is currently masking your long-term results.  It does appear that your labial resection was done with a greater amount of tissue removed from the central portion and less so from the lower aspect and clitoral hood.  At this point I would allow your results to mature over 6-8 weeks and then assess your outcome.  You will have a better sense whether any additional treatment would be needed.  Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  I tell all of my patients to expect swelling after the procedure. The swelling will distort the results immensely.  However if you are concerned at all you should contact your surgeon immediately.    Be sure to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in Labiaplasty

John G. Hunter, MD

Don't have your "general gynecologist" do your surgery!

Even meticulously performed, careful labiaplasties can look positively AWFUL the first week post-op. It appears your surgeon was not either a plastic surgeon or true cosmetic gynecologist, as you've had an amputation-type procedure with too-tightly placed large-caliber sutures. In my experience, my patients experience virtually no pain after the first 24-36 hours, but when the surgeon ties the sutures too tight, and uses large-caliber sutures, there is more pain. However, most often things heal well. I know it's nerve-wracking, but it's best to wait it out. You will know by 1 month post-op how things will be... The weblink below, and other arreas on the site may be of help.

Michael P Goodman

Davis, CA, USA

All I see is swelling around your labiaplasty sutures

There is significant swelling around your labiaplasty scars that is distorting the entire area. Once the swelling goes down, things should appear more normal. The stitches do not appear to have been delicately placed, but everything is usually at it's worst in the first week of healing.

Early post op swelling

Thank you for your question. I can certainly understand your concern. Labia are very delicate and can swell quite a bit after labiaplasty and can be uncomfortable during the first week or so. Although, it is too early to tell what the final appearance will be from your pictures, I recommend seeing your surgeon to make sure that you are healing as he expects. Typically, final appearance can be appreciated by 12 weeks.

Peter Castillo, MD, FACOG
Bay Area Urogynecologist