Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction; how much does it cost? (photos)

How much would it cost for labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction? My clit is actually rather small but the hood makes it look huge!!

Labiaplasty and hood reduction costs

in my practice run less than $3000 when done under local and in the office.  A trim method would be suggested due to the perceived thickness of your minora and if you're accepting of the different colored edge it results in.  Your hood would be resected to provide less coverage of your clitoris but you must avoid the surgeon that exposes your clitoris or over-resects your labia.  I've seen too many 'amputations' on this site.

Labiaplasty And Clitoral Hood Reduction

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction. However, a physical examination would be required to better assess your condition and recommendations.  Although cost is important, I would recommend finding an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that involves traveling.  Some practices will assist you with travel arrangements.  Best of luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

You have a large and droopy hood...nothing wrong with your clitoris

Hello Ellie May,Although your anatomy isn't rare it is difficult to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result due to the large and ptotic prepuce. You should put less emphasis on finding the least expensive procedure, but more on finding the best surgeon to give you the best outcome. Cost depends on the procedures you choose to have and the experience and demand of your surgeon. You should be prepared to travel.You need a Clitoral Hood Reduction with Clitoropexy at the time of your Labiaplasty. Anything less than this will not be appropriate. In my Center, we perform this in the office under local anesthesia. This eliminates anesthesiologist and hospital fees. It also ensures complete privacy since you may drive yourself to and from the office. Please visit link below for more information on identifying the best surgeon and to review 100s of Before and After photos.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

You have a wide clitoris not a small clitoris

The shaft of the clitoris is wide in the photo. There is a slight amount of looseness in the skin of the hood that can be reduced, but the thickness will remain. The labia minora can certainly be reduced at the same time. Be aware that in your unique situation, reduction of the labia minora and clitoral hood will leave the thick clitoris as the focal point. It will be even more noticeable than it is now. Anyone who tells you that a clitoral hood reduction will make Your clitoris appear narrower is being overly hopeful and unrealistic.

Laabiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are very enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Cost for Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction

#Costs will depend upon the specific surgery that is requested, type of anesthesia, experience of the surgery, and geographic location. These are all things to discuss specifically with your surgeon in regard to the procedures that are determined. There are also some links on this site where you can see averages of the cost of these procedures if that will help you get started in researching out all the details of your procedure.

Cost of labiaplasty

Cost for a labiaplasty vary fro, $2500 to $5,000 depending on what needs to be done and where it the procedure is performed. I perform the procedure in my accredited surgicenter under just a local anesthetic, reducing the cost by eliminating the need to pay an anesthetist. See link below for further information.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

How to deal with "challenging anatomy" with prominent hood folds...

Thank you for your question and the good quality photo, which allows me to answer you in a helpful way.  I'd like first to say that your anatomy is normal and there's no need for surgery unless it really bugs you! Surgically however you do have challenging anatomy, with thickened labia, redundant lateral prepucial folds, and a significantly thickened  central clitoral hood fold.  This anatomy in my opinion does not lend itself to a linear resection, but to a wide Y-modification of a V-Wedge technique, would remove the lateral hood fold and pull down the central skin, leaving the hood to "flow" down attractively into your modified labia. A "linear/trim" might leave a prominent hood looking like a "little penis..."
Take care! With your anatomy, it is SO IMPORTANT that you see a very experienced plastic/cosmetic surgeon (you may need to "travel"), as a less experienced surgeon could certainly have difficulty in designing the proper surgery. You might access the weblink below for some ideas of what can be accomplished (at least in my hands); Our "out-the-door" charges for an average LP + hood vary between $5000-$6000. Yours is complected, and would be (total, including supplies, local anesthesia and facility) $5500-6000.
Hope this helps!  Best wishes,
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

How much does labiaplasty cost?

The cost varies from surgeon to surgeon and location.  Seek an in person consultation for an examination and to discuss your options and obtain a qoute.  The cost in my practice in Los Angeles can vary from $3000-6000 for a labiaplasty with treatment of the clitoral hood as well. 

Cost of labiaplasty and hoodectomy?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD