What kind of tip graft should I consider? (Photo)

what kind of tip graft will give more projection + elevation of an underprojected thick skinned tip? what about an external strut graft?

Poor tip support and definition

It appears that you would benefit from a columellar strut,  tip procedures to rotate the tip upwards and a cartilage onlay graft to improve tip definition,  done through an external rhinoplasty approach.

Make sure you consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon as this is somewhat more involved surgery than the average rhinoplasty.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What kind of tip graft should I consider?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hello pacificblue - Thanks for your question. Any tip graft with a columellar strut graft would help extend your tip and shape the tip better if you have heavy, thick skin. Work with a rhinoplasty expert in your area for more assistance. 

Thanks, 

Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Improving Nasal Tip Projection and Definition

The contour of the tip cartilages can be changed to narrow and improve tip definition. A cartilage tip graft can be placed to also improve projection and better balance in your profile. Depending on the strength of your cartilages I'm not sure a strut graft will be necessary.

Tip projection

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a columellar strut graft to increase your tip projection.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD