I had wedge Labiaplasty 5 days ago. Is this swelling and bruising normal/to be expected? (photos)

I had wedge labiaplasty five days ago. I have minimal pain. Slightly discomfort as I sit but not a problem at all. Have been off my feet for five days but will be going back too work tomorrow. I seem to have swelled a lot and have a purple bit of bruising on my left side. The swelling is slightly fuller on the left side but not overly so. Is the swelling within normal limits? I am worrying myself that it is not. Bit of dry blood on incision site but no active bleeding

Labiaplasty

Keep an eye on the bruise above your clitoris.  If it gets larger let your surgeon know asap.  You seem to healing fine.  You are just extremely swollen after you procedure. This is totally normal. 

You are bruised and swollen after a wedge labiaplasty

The bruise on your clitoral hood is a small hematoma. If it gets larger you will have a problem. You have swelling at the perineum in the center where you have some excess labial tissue in the midline. This should resolve in a few weeks.

Your anatomy from your photo

is difficult to appreciate just what is what but if not experiencing increasing pains or persistent bleeding, its likely to be due to swelling, even if asymmetric.  Let your surgeon know and allow him/her to provide you the reassurances you desire as he/she was there, knows what it looked like after the procedure and what you started with, and has the benefit of examining you more closely.

Curtis Wong, MD

Swelling and bruising after labiaplsty

It is understandable to be concerned. The swelling and bruising visible on the image you provided is considered to be "normal" 5 days following a labiaplasty. Everyone's tissue has different response to an "injury" of a surgical procedure; therefore the degree of swelling and bruising may differ. The sutures look intact and once the swelling resolves, most likely you will have a satisfactory outcome. Again, as always the best person to contact is your surgeon since in-person exam is still the most reliable way for assessing a post-surgical recovery. In the meantime, you may apply ice packs, avoid strenuous activity and wear loose clothing.

Best reagards,

Yvonne Wolny, MD

Swelling after labiaplasty

Than you for the question and photos. Looks like you may have developed a small hematoma. Majority of them go away within days. Please keep a eye on the size and your symptoms. If it is getting bigger or start causing you pain, please see your surgeon. Hope this helps

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

I had wedge Labiaplasty 5 days ago. Is this swelling and bruising normal/to be expected?

Thank you for your post and pics.  Unfortunately, swelling seems to be very common with a labiaplasty wether it is wedge or a trim method.

I would continue following all post op instruction and make sure your physician is informed and aware of your situation.   Otherwise, if the swelling is not painful or worsening then you should be fine.

Best of luck.

I had wedge labiaplasty 5 days ago. Is this swelling and bruising normal/to be expected?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your labiaplasty.  Due to the thin nature of the tissues in this region swelling is common and will persist for several weeks after surgery.  If you are having little pain/discomfort, no drainage, and bruising has remained stable, all is likely well.  Be sure to maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure you go on to heal with little difficulty.  Best wishes. 

Is this swelling and bruising normal?

Thank you for your question and photos.  The only way one can be sure is to have your surgeon check you.  In my opinion the swelling in the photograph does not look excessive.  Please reach out to your surgeon for their assessment.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon