I have been told I am allergic to Restylane. What other options do I have for a facial filler?

I had restylane injected into my facial cheeks. I endured hard lumps only on the left side of my face and had several injections of hydrolyse (sp?) to break them down. I would like to have a facial filler, but what can I use now that I have been told I am allergic to Restylane? Thank you and kind regards,

Doctor Answers 6

An allergy to hyaluronic acid is highly unlikely.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An allergy to hyaluronic acid is highly unlikely. There have been reports of patients who are allergic to lidocaine in the product, which is also rare. If you are allergic to Restylane you will most likely have the same experience with other HA products.

I would consider a second opinion to ensure you are allergic. 

All the Best.  

Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 521 reviews

Restylane allergy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should seek a second opinion, preferably from a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, to see if you are actually allergic to Restylane.  The lumps do not sound like an allergy but you can have a small skin test for confirmation.  That way, you will know if you can safely have Restylane again or another hyaluronic acid filler such as Juvederm or Belotero.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Allergy to Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Allergies to hyaluronic acid gel fillers such as Restylane are extremely rare. The lumps you describe following Restylane injection seem technique related.

I recommend you obtain a second opinion consultation from a well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. If there remain concerns of Restylane allergy, an allergist may provide confirmation of this. If your lumps were technique related, he /she would be able to offer other technique options or if necessary, other filler options so such a lump doesn't develop again.

I hope this was helpful.

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

You might also like...

Allergic to Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
although there is a small possibility that you are allergic to the Restylane, the chances are extremely small. What you are describing does not appear to be an allergic reaction but an less-than-optimal placement of the product that led to lumps and then was dissolved with the hyaluronidase. If you are concerned, then you can always buy a smaller syringe of the product and have it tested on your forearm to see what happens, which I would guess is likely nothing.

Julio Garcia, MD
Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It seems unlikely that you are allergic to hyaluronic acid itself sinc this chemical is naturally contained in your body.  It may be the carrier products or the injection technique. Ask for a controlled skin test with restylane and juvederm.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for facial fillers instead of Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without knowing all of the details of your Restylane treatment, it is difficult to know if you actually had an allergic reaction to Restylane or not.  It is possible that you are not allergic to Restylane and just had a problem from the injection itself.  It may be possible to inject a small amount of Restylane on your arm to see if you develop a reaction or not.  If you just want to avoid Restylane all together, you could try one of the other fillers that are not composed of hyaluronic acid.  These would include Radiesse, Sculptra and Artefill.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.