I Still Have Swelling 12 Months Post Rhinoplasty????? Is This Normal?

Overall i am happy with my rhinoplasty procedure but the swelling is obvious in the tip and i am terribly swollen still. My surgeon says it may take 18-24months to subside because i am middle eastern and had very thick skin to begin with and had extensive tip work, but everyone on online forums says the swelling should go away in 12 months, so why hasnt mine? Im hoping to get a second opinion here, is my surgeon correct can swelling sometimes take longer than 12 months to disappear??? thank u

Recovering from rhinoplasty and extended swelling

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process is waiting for swelling to go down to see your result. 

In the first 6-8 weeks the majority of swelling will go down. Over the next 6-9 months you'll experience a downward trending rollercoaster of swelling going up and down depending on your exposure to heat, sun, or salt. At one year, you're close to your final result; however, the nose is known to continue healing and refining by very small amounts for years after that. Swelling in patients with thicker skin, revision surgery, or rib cartilage grafting may take twice as long to calm down. 

The swelling commonly goes down in an uneven way. First one side and then the other goes down, which may give the appearance of a crooked nose until the other side catches up. The tip is the last area to settle down. It's important to follow your surgeon's instructions and keep your follow-up appointments so your surgeon can track your progress toward a safe and happy outcome. Safety comes first. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

It is normal to have persistent swelling for up to two years in patient with thick nasal skin. You can also develop scar tissues under nasal skin after surgery. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

I Still Have Swelling 12 Months Post Rhinoplasty????? Is This Normal

There are cases where swelling can take longer to subside.  Since you have thick skin and did have  tip refinement, it is not unusual to experience excess swelling.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD