I got staphylococcus infection 4 weeks after mastectomy

I got staphylococcus infection 4 weeks after mastectomy and 10 lymph nodes removal in the area where the lymph nodes has been removed. why it could happened? is this bacteria could come through my skin from outside?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about your infection.  Unfortunately infections can occur after surgery and the risk is even higher with immediate reconstruction.  Your summary does not explain whether you had reconstruction.   Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions. best of luck

Staph infection after surgery

There are many ways germs can be inside the body in an area that has been recently operated. The most common way is because the wound has not healed completely and they travel through the skin. Another way is through a plastic drainage tube that is in place to allow fluid to leave, if they have been left in place. Sometimes, they enter at the time of surgery and cause an infection days later, even if every attempt to keep sterile technique is followed. Some people are more susceptible to infections after surgery if they have diabetes, are obese, are smokers, or have poor blood flow for whatever reason. There are many reasons some people under excellent care sometimes get infections and infection is something all surgeons have encountered at some point in their career. If your surgeon is taking care of you and responding to your concerns, this is very reasonable and expected. If they are ignoring you or if you learn that many of their patients get infections, you may want to seek another opinion.

I appreciate your question.

Infections can happen as our bodies are colonized with bacteria.
Large surges such as mastectomies increase this risk.
Its dealing with it when it happens thats important.

The best way to assess and give true advice would an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz